3.07.2012

Caramel Rolls and Chocolate Milk?

My little sister and her best friend Jordyn descended upon my house last night with overnight gear and shopping bags in tow.  First up was showing me their loot.  Complete with a pair of sunglasses I might be stealing from Sister Pister.  

Next up was me taking the two shirts I gave my sister for Christmas.  I figure she's had them for long enough; it's my turn to wear them.  What's that?  Usually you let people keep the gifts you give them?  I guess I should be thankful she is generous enough to share them with me for  awhile.  I promptly put the pearl snap denim on over my workout clothes and danced a jig.  Pearl snaps and sweaty sweats.  Oh yeah.   

Then while the girls were finishing trying on and examining their recent purchases, I was doing a little face timing on my couch.  Asking such questions as this, "Does my face look better like this (me doing a Who-ville Grinch style face) or this (me propping the phone up so I could use both hands to contort my face into a eyes pulled down pig snout look)?"  The two guys on the other end of the face time picked the Who-ville Grinch style face.  One of them also piped in with, "I think you could take this act on the road."  

And I often think if I could, I would.  

Anyways, while I was sitting on my sore rear (hello to Muscle Pump at the YMCA) doing some chit chatting, the girls went into my room.  When they came out, they declared they were going to the grocery store.  It was ten o'clock-ish in the evening so naturally I asked, "For what?"  

"Popsicles."  

Of course.  Popsicles.  

Then I said, "Are those my sweatshirts?"  

"Yes."  

My 80s San Diego and 70s local middle school sweatshirts are a hot ticket apparently.  Those two girls went into my room knowing they wanted them.  I told the thieves they could buy me grapes but they could not keep the sweatshirts.  

After they came back with popsicles, grapes, caramel rolls, and chocolate milk, they sat on my kitchen floor.  One propped against the fridge and one criss-crossed in the middle.  Pretty soon the hands were flying, the eyebrows were lifting, and they were giving me the latest.  While I stood there cutting a grapefruit in half and taking the grapes off their stems, I told them, "Girls.  Don't do drugs or be hussies.  Those are two things you can't ever reverse."  Yes I actually said that to them.  I'm all about honesty.  I'm also all about hearing the latest.  Makes me feel all with it and stuff.  Not like I usually feel, which is like an old nerd who roasts squash in her oven.  There really was squash roasting in my oven.  I do that kind of thing at ten thirty in the evening.   

I need to address the caramel rolls and chocolate milk breakfast plan before I go on.  Teenage food choices make me shake my head.  There I addressed it.  


Once I was filled in on the latest and greatest, I painted my nails.  Jordyn did her homework.  And Sister Pister ran the remote to fast forward the commercials on the DVRd episode of The Voice.  Here's how I know she is in fact my sister.  After we'd watch thirty-three seconds of each commercial, she kept saying, "Oh!!  I forget I can fast forward!"


Similar to my moment last week while watching the Bomber boys in the State Class B basketball tournament.  Real similar.  I'll give you the short version.  

"I don't think that's a foul.  I want to watch that again."  I hear him say this.  I see him pick up the remote.  I watch the TV do the rewind thing.  I see that he pushes play.     

Then this comes out of my mouth as the player from the other team is dribbling the ball and shooting the ball, "Oh!!  He's going to do it again!  He's going to make that exact same shot again!!  Why can't they stop him?"  As I very dramatically throw my hands to face.   

What the what is wrong with me sometimes?!  

Tear inducing laughter occurred next.  That's all I'm going to say about that nonsense.   

Back to last night.  Sister Pister is indeed my sister.  Nails were painted.  Homework was finished.  Popsicles were consumed by the two teenage poptarts.  Then I fell asleep on the couch.  And just like that, I reinstated my old nerd status.  

This morning, I put on one of the shirts I gave Sister Pister for Christmas.


And then my little sister did my hair and tied my friendship bracelets for me.  I hugged her and wished she could get me ready every morning.


Yes, friendship bracelets.  I'm doing it. 

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Loving this...it's great to live close enough to your sister to have this spontaneity. It's also great that you relish it and do not take it for granted. Lovely, indeed, Amy...

Anonymous said...

Those were my two rules to life for a while missy. :)

--Sister Pister

Amy said...

Good Sister Pister! This makes me happy on the inside. Shoot, it makes me happy on the outside too.