3.16.2012

A What Panther?

I stood on the corner.  Under the Arizona flag.  Texted my mom.  Smelled the sun.  Then heard, "Amy!"  Out of my sun trance with a head shake, I grabbed my suitcase handle and started off across the street to my parents' car.  Let my dad throw my suitcase in the back.  Let my mom hug me.  And I am pretty sure that whole time I was in a daze.  You know the feeling you have when you get off an airplane?  Kind of like you have to ask yourself, "Am I human?"  Dazed.  I was dazed.  So I put my seat belt on, placed sunglasses on my face, and rolled the window down.  As we started the drive to the house, the air was coming in and I was slowly brought back to being a human.  I told my parents the story from the airport and of course, they shook their heads.  Momma Debi discussed her wallpaper taking down attire she was wearing, it was quite the fashion statement.  Dad-o talked about all the errands left to run.  And I kept reminding them I was hungry.

Once at the house, I promptly threw on my swimsuit and found the one chunk of grass in the backyard not swallowed by the shade.  Oh I love the sun.  Then what happened was a run in with Peanut M&M's.  If you ever do one thing in your life, let it be this.  Lay in the sun and eat Peanut M&M's.  Bliss.

Until you are taken out of the sun and are back in normal clothes and then wonder to yourself, "Why did I eat those?"  The reality of that is not bliss.  So then you do what only seems right.  You take out your camera.  You walk around to the front of the house and become a voyeur.  Because the scene you see is that perfect.  Your dad washing the patio set in the evening sun, living his dream.  Neighborhood kids playing t-ball in the background.  A vision of happiness.  It was a vision for the eyes and a treat for the ears.  Hearing those kids laughing with their dads while watching my dad do something so simple, knowing inside he was enjoying every second of it.   


I think the whole "Am I human?" feeling was still hanging on at that point.  I stood there for quite some time.  In a mild form of dazed.  Not confused.  Just dazed...trying to figure out how to bottle up that business.  It was that good. 


After the patio furniture was sparkling and I was sufficiently satisfied with being a voyeur, my parents and I went out for dinner.  But first, my dad felt the need to point out to me he believes I'm becoming a bit too much of a city girl because I call it dinner instead of supper.  Don't worry Dad-o, I still will drive your tractors some times.  Don't worry.  Santan Brewing Company was the choice.   It had everything I like in a dinner experience...atmosphere, sparkly lights, an open garage door to the outside, a fun waiter, wine, and good company.  

Yes, an open garage door to the outside is always on my list for a dinner out.  Isn't on yours?  Put it on there already!


Apparently, Santan Brewing Company brews their own beer.  Don't let this be shocking to you, but I had wine instead.  However, it wasn't totally boring because it came in a glass that wasn't a glass.  It was the bottom half of a wine bottle.  Turns out, I lived a little; experienced something new with my old stand-by choice.  


Dad-o did up the beer thing.  I guess they know what they are doing with their brewing.


My parents are gems. 


We had a marvelous time; I even put my feet up on the chair.  Then our food came.  I ordered a burger.  After my boring wine choice, I felt like stepping out of my normal.  Which in this case, seems boring.  A burger?  How exciting is that?  But, let me tell you, this burger was fantastic.  Mushrooms and cheese stuffed and straight up delicious. 


I also had a bite or two of Momma Debi's fish tacos.  More of the kind of choice I would normally go for, but I don't regret the burger.  No, I sure don't.  Even though the fish tacos were divine.  Next time.  Next time, I'll drink beer and eat fish tacos.  That will even the score right back up. 


Then I looked at the menu and noticed the dessert was called the Sex Panther.  So naturally, I ordered it.  And we ate it.  And it was yummy.  Some might think it would be embarrassing to eat something called the Sex Panther with your parents.  Not me.  I don't really know how to be embarrassed.  You become numb to that sort of thing after all my years of being me.    

1 comment:

Momma Debi and Dad-o said...

Amy, you are a gem too!