6.22.2012

It's Actually Pretty Fun

Custer, SD is actually pretty fun.  Who knew?  Certainly not I.  Way back that first weekend of June, we stayed at the Custer State Game Lodge and it was beyond beautiful.  Picture perfect beautiful.  Go there sometime.  After a morning of coffee, visits, and a run in the hot sun, the three of us headed into the actual town to find some lunch and adventure. 

Of course along the way we had to pull the car over so I could capture some pretty.  Sparkly water is an obvious pull the car over now moment.


I must say Custer a little bit has it going on.  The lunch we had was delicious and very not small town.  I'm from a tiny town so I can totally say that kind of thing without it being offensive. 


After lunch we strolled a bit and I was distracted by shiny objects.  At least this time it wasn't me being the horse's ass.  They had actual ones to cover that arena. 


Then we spotted this lovely building and we meandered in.  Wearing our running clothes.  Not showered.  Salty.  And didn't feel a bit bad about it either. 


We opted for the full wine tasting.  A little wine fun right after lunch before an afteroon wedding is more than appropriate.  The names of the wine?  I'll let you decide the meter for that. 


Wine was purchased.  I highly recommend you buy some too.


On the way back to the lodge, I opted for the backseat with the idea we wouldn't actually have to pull the car over if I spotted something. 


Buffalo counted as something to spot.  Down the window went. 


And out the window I went.  One day I will be injured all in the name of getting a still capture of life around me.  I just know it.  The world goes away and I forget about logistics of safety and such.  But until I break something or end up with stitches, you'll find me lying in the middle of the highway and hanging out the car window holding on to only the camera. 


Do you follow this rule? 

Once you have started drinking, there's really no reason to stop. 

We do.  We are followers of that rule. 

With a half hour to spare before getting ready time, we all grabbed a cocktail of choice and a book to find a patch of sun.  Right when we were setting up camp, in rolled the photographer with none other than the bride and groom.


I call that good timing.  I also call it mildly awkward.  Because remember we were not showered, slightly wined up, and salty from running.  The bride, groom, and wedding party were of the showered and primped variety. 


But April is the kind of girl who would have been right there with us had it not actually been her wedding.  She is in the amazing crazy fun category so she didn't blink an eye at our afternoon choices. 

She is also beautiful and her wedding day was no exception. 


After picking bugs and other creepy crawlies out of the layers of April's dress, we finally put our cocktails down and showered.  We had a wedding to get to after all.  Once again, the timing fairy was in our corner because right after a stranger captured the three of us.  Wait.  That sounded funny.  Let me try again.  After a stranger took our picture before the ceremony, April came running up and said, "I want in!"  And of course we let her in.  It wouldn't be us without her. 

No comments: