6.26.2012

Stop for the Big Cow

Do you want to know how you can tell if you have real friends?  Besides tapping them to make sure they are there.  You ask them this, "Do you think we could stop by New Salem to catch some of Sister Pister's last high school rodeo?" 

And you make sure you ask it after spending over fifteen hours in a car together in a two day span.

Because when they say yes to such an inquiry, you know they are real friends.  Turning a little something something that's important to you into something that it is also worth their time. 

So we stopped.  Stopped in the town of the big cow to catch Sister Pister's pole bending run; her last event of the day.  What I didn't know is we also stopped so Danae could experience her first rodeo in awhile.  She was entertaining to say the least.  I dare say she might have actually enjoyed herself despite her fear of large animals.  Well, really her fear of all animals.  But that's a story for another day.     


Momma Debi has spent many a hour at rodeo grounds across the state in the last four years.  High school rodeo season is in the spring and the fall which made for a rare occasion when Dad-o could attend.  Those are the crazy busy times for farming.  The go times.  Momma Debi is the kind of mom though that will drive and ride across the state so her daughter can do what she loves.  Let me explain further...one time she bought me a vacuum for my sixteenth birthday.  She's all about encouraging her kids' passions.   


I've attended a few rodeos along the way; it's just not always easy for me to sit and wait and sit and wait.  I'd rather be vacuuming or something.  But I sure do love to watch my sister do her thing.  If only the rodeo was filled with contestants I knew.  Then I'd be set. 


Because when it's people I know, I tend to be able to pay attention.  Like I watched Sister Pister's boyfriend named Hayes and his very own little sister compete in team roping.  It was just one more nudge of how much of a good human Hayes is; he can be on a team with his little sister.  I think back to when Brother and I were in high school and I am not entirely sure we could have tolerated each other in a competition setting.  Fixing fence was enough of an adventure in itself I tell you.   


Maybe my siblings and I follow our own beats.  Mmmhm, that's probably it.  Take for instance I forced Sister Pister to stand in the middle of the road at one of her high school rodeos and point to the big cow.   


Then I had to remind Hayes of how I roll.  Which is what I refer to as my camera face look.  He's starting to adjust.  Soon I will have donkey kicking.   


You ride with my sister to rodeos?  Be ready to smile while you get your horse ready then.  She was a sport about it.   


Sister Pister, however, has become so accustomed she simply ignores me.  I tell myself it's only because of the camera. 


Yes, she pretends I don't exist until I yell, "Look at me!"  


Or until I say, "Do that again.  Adjust your belt again.  I missed it."  She really loves that kind of business when she is trying to get her horse ready.


Right back to ignoring she goes.  Ignoring with some participation of the let's make fun of Amy game which was occuring from the peanut gallery of friends.   


I decided to leave those three to their laughter and popped over to the next trailer and said, "You're Hayes's sister and I'm Em's sister and my name is Amy and now stand there and smile with your brother.  Come on.  It will be cute." 


Belt issues.  You can not have belt issues while pole bending.  I just made that up but it sounds legitimate right? 


After all adjustments on Sister Pister's part and nerdy jokes on my part, she was off for the races.  Now that's exactly the kind of nerdy statement which would cause an eye roll from my sister.  But she has in the very least accepted how I am.  Next up is appreciation.  We're working on that one.  


The dirt chunks flew for the next twenty three seconds.   


Her hat flew too. 


Have I ever told you that Sister Pister is a better rider than me?  I'm sure I have somewhere along the way in my statements of the obvious.   


Here are a few of my favorite things.  Lip gloss, green grass, pictures with no hooves on the ground while a horse is running, sixteen bracelets at one time, stickie notes, grapes, coffee, the smell of laundry detergent, glitter clothespins, and chopping vegetables.    


Here are a few of my not favorite things.  Snakes, worms, cutting off a horse's hooves in a whoa picture, cleaning the shower drain, cats, hairy armpits, not talking, the smell of rotten potatoes, the look of rotten potatoes, voicemails, and snow banks.       


Back to favorites now.  Having real friends who will stop with you to take in your little sister's last high school rodeo pole bending run.  Having a little sister who is a gem.  Having a Momma Debi.  Having a sunny day with a blue sky.  Having a sister's boyfriend who is a good human.  Having my camera face.  Having music to listen to and friends to visit with to make it through the rest of the road trip home.   

No comments: