6.21.2012

There It is...In One Line

"We are shaped by the light we let through us." 

A one line from a song. 

The first time I heard "Glass" by Thompson Square, that line hit me in the forehead with a that's what I believe.  Right there!  In one line!  All the words I've ever tried to weave together or all of the pictures I have ever snapped to try and show...that's it. 

"We are shaped by the light we let through us."

My friends are some good light. 

On the night of my birthday, I didn't have any plans.  My family had celebrated the evening before.  I had birthday morning coffee time with jammies, Britt, and her girls.  Sister Pister took me out for a late lunch and then I was at home.  No plans.  Within a few minutes, my phone made the text message ding.  Brittany to the rescue!  I swear sometimes friends just know.  Some quick impromptu messages flew around to others until pretty soon I found myself walking into Steve and Brittany's being greeted by Stella and Harper yelling, "Happy Birthday!" 


And what was on their table was that of wine evening on a patio perfection.  Thank you Brittany for knowing the exact way I would want to spend my birthday night.  

 
I'm fairly certain (correct me if I'm wrong B) Steve did the food and wine shopping after work and then I know he took this picture and then I also know he watched the two little girls while us old girls did our visiting.  Thank you Steve for being a good guy. 


Now if only Jessie's phone hadn't been left in the shop where last minute text messages can't be viewed and Danae's husband wasn't a farmer who didn't get in until late...it would have been even more perfect.  You were there in spirit girls and next time you'll be there for sure.  The planner in me will make sure of it.  Besides, you have to discover the perfect combination of air popped popcorn with wine like the rest of us have.   


Here's where I get all sappy for a smidge.  We have a thing going with our circle of friends.  It changes.  It takes in new.  It keeps those who move away in the hearts of us all.  Shelby, we talked about you being all in your southern glory again living in North Carolina and Lisa, let's not even go there that it was two days before you were set to make your family's move to Alabama.  When she got up from the patio table, I couldn't say goodbye.  No way.  Instead I said, "I will see you again before you leave.  I have to."  That happened yesterday.  I hugged her and little Rylan in the Sbux parking lot knowing it was the last time we'd have coffee together here.  Uffda.  But also knowing it's not the end.  Because that's how our circle of friends works.  It changes and shifts but it's always there. 

I can't help but hope that when Harper stands on her very tippy toes to see us through the window, she is storing away the childhood memory of her mommy and friends taking the time to laugh and talk and cry and eat too much and say too much in the evening setting sun.  Because I've said it before and I'll say it again and again and again, there is power and magic in girl friend time.  And if we are the example for the little tippy toe watchers, the circle will always keep rolling.   


 "We are shaped by the light we let through us." 


Oh yes we are. 


I'm lucky.  Lucky to have had my cheers to the start of this next trip around the sun while in the company of my so very good light. 

2 comments:

Brittany Miller said...

Aww *tear!
Cheers to a great 29th year... or is it 30th? This confuses me! Ha!
-B

Kathy F. said...

Amy - You said it well when it comes to the circle of friends. Some leave, some new come in, but they're always in our hearts. When I get together with my circle of friends back in Carpio, it's as if I never left. We start talking like we had just seen each other the night before and are continuing our conversation. THAT'S TRUE FRIENDSHIP! Love and miss you, my life-long friends (and their children, too).