3.29.2010

A Few Observations

It was sixty something degrees today.  That's huge for ND in March.  It makes us all feel like there is life again and another winter is getting done and over with.   I will say this though, having those yuckville winters makes us really appreciate the first warm days.  It would be a safe bet to say that most people take a little extra time to stop and notice the greening grass, the chirping birds, and the playing kids. 

I went grocery shopping right after work to get items to make for a staff potluck tomorrow and I grabbed myself some flowers.  Heck, they were $5.99 and it just seemed like the right thing to do on the first warm day.  I've spent that much money on worse things than flowers before, like, for instance, a trapper keeper back in the eighties.  Yep, I bought flowers for myself and while I was picking them out there was a man in his forties standing next to me doing his own picking and I said to him, "Buying those for yourself?"  Then he said to me, "No."  Then I said, "Well you should try it sometime."  Then he walked away.   


I put those lovely five dolla flowers in front of my kitchen window because I have to do all of that cooking tonight and maybe they will help me get through it.  All that mixing, stirring, measuring, baking, boiling...it's just too much for me sometimes. 


I also strongly recommend putting flowers in blue mason jars instead of vases.  It's pretty.  And it has nothing to do with the fact that I couldn't find a vase.  Nothing at all.  I'm sticking with pretty. 


Flowers in the kitchen equal instant heart happy.  Go buy yourself some flowers tomorrow.  Just do it. 


Onto other findings from the grocery store...did you know that you can buy eggs SIX at a time?  It's plain crazy!  Six instead of twelve.  I've been buying twelve all of these years and then it's inevitable that I throw some away.  I spotted the six pack today and literally said out loud, "WHAT?!  Eggs come in a six pack?!" 


There happened to be a shelf stocker next to me stocking the eggs and after my sudden outburst over the egg six pack he turned to me and nonchalantly said, "Yep."  At that time in my grocery shopping extravaganza all I had in my cart was the flowers I was buying myself and I'm sure the poor guy thought I was half cracked.  

Half cracked?  Eggs.  Sometimes I can't even handle myself.    


I finished up the grocery shopping and headed home; the sun was shining, my sunroof was open, I was elated about the six pack of eggs, and it really just couldn't get much better.  Then, I pulled up into my driveway and the ugly side of spring reared it's head.  Yuck.   


Along with all of that bird chirping, grass growing, and kid playing comes this nasty, nastiness. 


I really, really dislike the nasty part of spring.  It just doesn't sit well with me.  The dirt.  Oh, the dirt.  The smooshed brown grass.  Oh, the smooshed brown grass.   


And this?  This I don't even know what to say about.  First of all I'm not exactly sure if that Pampers box is in my neighbor's yard or mine.  It's a horse a piece.  I know it didn't come from my house, but I'm not thinking it came from theirs either as they are in their mid sixties.  Hmmm...it's the case of the mysterious diaper box.  But, seriously, look at all that loveliness.  It just doesn't get any better than that. 


As I was pondering the Pampers box, I couldn't help but realize buying a house in the winter is like marrying someone without knowing their real name or what kind of underwear they wear.  When I bought my house, the yard was under a solid three feet of snow.  For all I knew, it could have been hiding a cemetery.  I made some startling finds today, no cemeteries, but still interesting.  Number one being this rock.  What a beautiful piece of landscaping for the previous owners to leave behind for me. 


Number two being this landscaping.  Now, I know it's hard to believe but I'm more excited about this landscaping than the rock.  If you are not from ND, you are probably having a hard time believing this actually could be completely covered, but I'm here to tell you...it was.  There's still a tiny little remnant left over.     


What an afternoon.  Flowers, eggs in a six pack, finding hidden treasures in my yard, and you haven't even heard the best part yet.  The best part was while I was taking a picture of that lovely rock, I looked up and saw one of the neighbors I haven't met yet.  She was standing there staring.  I can't imagine why?  Maybe she had been standing there long enough to see me take a picture of the street drain, the curb, and the diaper box.  I just looked at her and smiled and ran to the backyard.  It seemed like the right thing to do.   

No comments: