4.18.2010

Prom Preview and a Funny

Prom was yesterday and I followed Sister Pister and her friends around all day being their "photographer."  It was a pretty sweet deal for all of us; they get some fun pictures and I get to practice on good looking subjects who actually like to take pictures and will do whatever I ask.  It's a perfect combination!  Here are a few of my favorites so far...

A far cry from the dirty, rock - picking girl. 


With her date, Kyle, who is also her boyfriend.  I'm not sure how he puts up with her crazy antics.


I'll write more and post more pictures of the rest of the day later, but first...first, I must tell what happened at prom a few years ago.  The junior class of that time asked me to take the pictures of the couples before grand march.  I had just entered into the land of "big camera" and wasn't super confident in my abilities, but said yes anyway because I do rather enjoy a challenge.  My mom is pretty tech savvy so I asked her if she would help me on that day {basically, I needed the moral support}.  She said yes. 

Then, about a week later, Mom and I realized she would be in the air that Saturday.  Dad-o, Mom, and Sister Pister were planning a trip to Hilton Head Island and they would be flying back that day.  Mom assured me their flight would be in on time and she would be there to help {aka "keep Amy from going crazy"}. 

Finally the day arrived and I made a quick trip to Walmart that morning to load up on batteries for my flash.  I checked what kind I needed before I left my house and knew it was double A's.  On the way to Minot, I get a call from Mom in which she informs me they are stuck in Nashville.  Now, if you know me at all, you know I am a "fly off the handle-er."  I don't stop for reason or sense much.  I freaked out.  Mom told me I was going to be fine and I told her that. no. I. would. not. be. fine.  

Once at Walmart, I went to the battery aisle and looked for the double A's.  I found them.  And, before I continue on with this, I want you to remember I was freaking out inside and was only 23 {three more years has really done me wonders}.  I look at the double A's and see a lot of packages that say AA on them, but they also say this.  AA 4.  AA8.  AA 20. 

I panic.  Big time panic.  This is what ran through my head, "WHAT?!!  There's different charges of double A's...I thought there was only one kind.  I don't know if I need the 4's, the 8's, or the 20's!"  And, at that point I was pretty sure my picture taking for prom was going to be a disaster, because I couldn't even buy batteries for my flash. 

I did the only thing I could think of doing; I called Mom.  Because really, don't all kids revert back to calling Mom when they have a problem?  Yes, they do and don't try and pretend like you don't.  Anyways, I called Mom FREAKING out into the phone, "Mom, I don't know what charge the double A's need to be!  I didn't look at that part!  What am I going to do?!  This is so a disaster!"  I was a hot mess. 

Keep in mind, Mom is stranded in an airport in Nashville and she has her 23 year old daughter on the phone freaking out about batteries.  I'm sure the people around her didn't think it was strange at all when she calmly said, "Amy, that's how many batteries are in the package.  Do you want to buy 4, 8, or 20?" 

I went with 20.

Turns out the people at Duracell like to tell you how many batteries are in the package and they like to put that on the label so you know.  Also, turns out that Mom, Dad-o, and Sister Pister didn't make it back on time.  Also, turns out that taking pictures at prom went just fine on my own.  I had 20 double A batteries after all.  How could it not? 

2 comments:

Terry, Melissa, Kutter and Collin said...

Oh Amy, you are such a trip! Thanks for letting us laugh at your expense. I enjoy reading your posts and viewing your photography.

Amy said...

Thanks Melissa! {I think} haha.