5.24.2011

Lacing up the Little Things

Details.  I have a love affair with details.  And so I have realized there are some details from this past weekend I want to write so I remember when I'm old and blue haired.  


Details like turning to the people all around us at the start line telling them, "Hey, let me check your teeth.  You do not want anything in your teeth for this, that might distract you.  And you never know when someone might be taking a picture of you."    

And I want to remember that Karen was running around in the mob of sweaty, smelly finishers grabbing their shoulders while saying, "Hey you.  You look the best you have ever looked."  I want to freeze frame the wide-eyed looks of --you are crazy-- and huge laughs that she got in return.

Getting emails, text messages, voice mails, and wall posts all saying some words of encouragement and knowing there was a whole group of people all out there thinking of me that morning...I want to remember feeling that kind of support.  And when I was running, I thought of different groups of people for every mile.  It made me feel closer to them.    


At about mile seven, I came to the realization I had two choices.  Choice number one was keep going at the pace I was and not finish.  Choice number two was slow to a jog and finish.  Apparently I actually said out loud, "I have to slow down.  It's okay.  Just keep going."  I know this came out of my mouth because the man running next to me looked over at me and said, "I think you should just slow down and quit arguing with yourself."  I laughed, he laughed, and I slowed to a jog so I could finish.  I'm thankful for that man.  Who ever he was.  He gave me the final okay to finally listen to my ass.  

The people lining the streets yelling encouragement and flinging cow bells created a rush of yes I can do this and I want to remember that really, deep down...people root for other people.  We all want to witness success.  


Celebrating that night in downtown Fargo with bands playing and strangers visiting with almost everyone having a limp or hitch of some sort.  I want to remember that the majority of us were all in the same boat and that created instant bonds.  

Driving the road home, listening to the radio, drinking hot coffee, knowing that it was done.  I want to always, I mean always remember the feeling of pure delight.  And to be real, I suppose I also better remember being extremely sore and having to pry myself out of the car at every stop.  Because those sore muscles are what carried me.  

Visiting with friends and family at graduation open houses right after getting back to town about finishing, seeing their looks of relief and happiness and feeling their sense of being proud when they wrapped their arms around me.  I want to remember that all encompassing love.  And I also need to write down that Dad-o said he would buy my running shoes.  Forever.  I'm going to hold him to that. 


Sister Pister telling me I should try and do some sort of cheer for being done and me realizing I could not really lift my leg without helping it along and then both of us laughing until we had tears is just another funny moment between my sister and I that I want etched in my memory.  


Hearing the chicken wings coming barreling down the hallway yesterday morning and bouncing in the room all yelling, "Did you do it?  Did you do it?!" and being able to throw up a fist pump and say, "YES!!" to them meant the world to me.  Being a teacher is part of my core.  Being a teacher who sets an example for my students is the inner part of that core.  I want those kids to see goals are important and life will always throw curve balls to those goals, but you have two learn how to swing through.  Getting all of their hugs.  Seeing their genuine excitement for their crazy teacher who was limping around the classroom while wearing a silly 80s outfit for track and field day.  Yes, I want to remember all of that. 


Not only do I want to remember that my teaching partner Lisa is always willing to theme dress and have fun, I also want to keep in my memory that throughout the whole training, she was a constant encouragement and cheerleader.  Always offering advice and throwing out, "You got this girl."  It's invaluable to have a co-worker that is also a true friend. 

Okay, now I'm ready to close that chapter of my life.  The details have all been accounted for and I'm ready to lace up those new tennies Dad-o is buying and start running towards whatever comes next.  

Thank you to you all for being a part of this with me.  Now, on to bigger and better things!   
  

4 comments:

Momma Debi and Dad-o said...

Yes! We are very proud of you!!

Sandy said...

All of us who know and love you are proud of you. I, for one, am also in awe of you. 1/2 marathon is a real accomplishment. AND 1/2 marathon with a sore ass is phenomenal. LOL...

Gemma said...

This post makes my heart happy.. and it made me laugh out loud (For real) at the same time! You truely are a great role model snd inspiration!
Love your attention to detail(s) ;)

Amy said...

Awwww...thanks you guys!