5.11.2011

Date Nights

I hurt myself running on Sunday.  It was our 12 mile run day and I started to feel a little wonky about mile 8-ish but just kept going.  I had to slow down, but kept going.  Then on mile 10, something felt like it snapped and I almost dropped to my knee.  So I walked for a few steps and then ran again.  Not smart.  Finally at mile 11, I realized it was just not working.  And I was mad.  Mad and sad.  I do not enjoy not being able to finish something.  12 was supposed to happen.  11 was not okay with me.   

I thought it was my hip but when I went to the chiropractor on Monday he actually informed me that it is my...well...butt.  Apparently you can really have an actual pain in your ass.  Good to know.  So now I have an ice pack schedule attached to my fridge, my rotten bananas have company in the freezer, and I have a nightly date with an ice pack attached to my butt.  Just in case you are wondering, that's not a hot date.  That's a cold date. 

Here's where I need to say that I love my chiro.  He writes things down for me because he knows I have a short attention span. 


My life is so glamorous and exciting right now that I have a hard time being around myself.  What's that?  You want to go to dinnner with me?  Oh, well are you okay with me showing up walking like a goof with an ice pack attached to my ass?  If so, then I am in.  

Uffda.  

I'm trying really hard not to worry about this butt issue of mine.  The half marathon is next weekend and the chiro won't let me run this week.  Hmmmm.  I did, however, get to ride a bike today.  He told me to not be a hero because at this point in training "a hero would be a zero."  I told him he needn't worry...pretty sure I've never actually been considered a hero.  So today after work I rode the bike at the gym for an hour, which ended up being 14 miles.  That's not being a hero I hope.  I don't know.  I'm not up on bike language.  The last time I rode a bike it might have had a basket on the front and tassels on the handle bars.  I do know that I wasn't ridiculously tired so I figure I did alright on not being a hero.    

Again, I am trying really hard not to worry about this butt issue of mine.  Let's just say that if I can't run next weekend, I might be crushed.  But, I am trying hard not to worry and I am being a good patient.  Icing, biking, stretching, ultra-sounding, electro something-ing, rubbing, prodding...it's all happening.  To my ass.

Moving on to other random bits.  When I got home this evening from the trying to "not be a hero" bike ride, I opened my fridge and found this.


Once again, it pays to let people have keys to your house.  Momma Debi left me a loaf of homemade bread that simply needed to be baked.  Win!  She was smart to leave me a stickie note with directions as well.  She has met me before.


So, right now I smell fresh bread baking in my kitchen and I am sitting on an ice pack.  Let's see.  What else?  

How about that sometimes I do wear appropriate shoes for an occasion.  Like boots for our field trip last week.  That made sense.  I always feel so mature when I wear appropriate shoes.  I imagine maybe it's the same feeling that my friends who are mothers get when they start to have the "mom purse."  You know...the one that has everything in it.  You need a band-aid?  They have it.  You need some old raisins?  They have it.  You need some stale crackers?  They have it.  A fingernail clipper?  Done.  A pacifier?  Check.  Oh yes, I imagine it's that same kind of feeling of maturity.


And here's one last slice of my week so far.  I like this headband.  I like this headband a lot.  It stays put because it's made in the athletic style and it's sparkly.  Need I say more? 


It especially looked nice on Sunday night when I was trying to clean and hobble around my house.  I even texted a friend with this message, "Right now my face is sunburned, I'm wearing a gold sparkly headband with a crazy pony-tail, there is salsa on the front of my shirt, and my giddy-up has a funny hitch.  I caught sight of myself in the mirror and laughed out loud.  Just thought you'd like to know I don't always have it all together." 

So basically that sums up my week so far.  I don't ever really have it together.  I have a pain in my ass.  And I need to go take fresh bread out of the oven.   

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Amy, sorry to hear about your butt cheek pain. Did the chiropractor say you could have a massage? I think a massage would feel very good at this time and in that place. I'll be thinking of you.