12.15.2010

Fluffin' and Lemons

The key to a lovely {artificial} Christmas tree is in the fluffin' and I happen to be a pretty darn good tree fluffer.  It has something to do with those perfectionistic tendencies.  


This year, I was gifted a tree by some dear friends that live out by the farm.  I don't remember the reason they didn't want it anymore, but all I know is I'm thrilled for it to be living at my house.  It came in a laaarge box so I'm not sure why I was surprised at the enormity of it!  


Good thing I have vaulted ceilings or that little angel would have a smushed head and even better thing I  have a non-room in my house.  It's not a living room, it's not a dining room, it's not the foyer....my friend Danae likes to refer to it as my lobby.  Usually I have my favorite chair sitting there next to my favorite trunk and every time she is at my house, she sits her little self down in that chair and says, "I'll just wait for you here in the lobby."   She's so funny.  Anyways, I had to find a new temporary home for that chair and the trunk because the tree, well, the tree is now the focal of the non-room.   


I know this may be hard to believe, but I'm a bit strange when it comes to decorating Christmas trees.  So, I didn't go with normal lights.  No, instead, I went with a combination of large and little globe lights.  The large ones are about the size of a normal ornament so they are a twist.  And, after I got done putting the lights on the monster...first, I was blinded by the brightness and second, I decided that maybe ornaments would look a bit silly  next to the big balls of lights, so I just placed the angel at the top and called it a night.  Then, I stood back and thought to myself, "Self, this tree is a tad off the beaten path." 

 
The angel is mine from when I was a baby all the way through until Sister Pister was born when I was ten.  Then, her angel was the chosen one to be placed on the tree because I was no longer the youngest.  This didn't bother me one bit.  Not one.bit.at.all.  And, can I tell you how much I love that Momma Debi saved stuff like this?  It's the same kind of love I have for an evening with nothing on the agenda.      


Do you have lemons on your Christmas tree skirt?  Because I sure do.  And, technically, that's not a Christmas tree skirt but rather a piece of fabric that I had laying around.  Again, it's all in the fluffin' and I'm really loving that little pop of lemon at the bottom.  I also think it would be fun to make a newspaper chain to add to the tree instead of ornaments...just might get on that.  We'll see.  I don't like the black stuff on my hands from newspapers, so we'll see.


After all of this rambling, what I really want to say is this.  There is something about sitting next to a Christmas tree, even if the lights are weird and there is a lemony skirt.  Right now, I'm sitting here with my cup of coffee and having that warm glow from the tree makes my heart feel all fuzzy and it really makes me want to take up knitting.  

Only, I'd have to be able to sit here without being distracted by those lemons in order to do that so don't hold your breath waiting for a knitted scarf from me.   

 

4 comments:

Momma Debi said...

Oh, I must set the record straight. As long as you were living at home we alternated angels every year as we did the the decorations. You liked the "organized and planned" gold decorations and white lights tree and your sister liked the mulitcolored lights and traditional ornaments tree. I am so glad your angel has found a lovely home atop your very own tree.

Amy said...

Momma Debi!! Of course you are stickler for remembering that. Imagine that I liked the organized xmas tree?! haha

Lisa K. said...

Love your tree, Amy! Some year I'm going to have one. I'm contemplating having one of my sister's ponderosa pines cut down for next year. Very untraditional for a Christmas tree, so I need to ponder that one. I have a whole box of Hallmark ornaments to put on my future tree - can't wait!

Brittany Miller said...

Love it!