7.10.2011

It'll Get You

I can't imagine the feeling of watching your own children do something big.  It has to be like seeing your own heart beat outside your chest.  I can't imagine the swelling pride that must make you have to take a deep breath through your nose. 

Because I feel like that watching my niece and nephews.  I love them.  And watching them do big things makes my heart squeeze.  Like when Firecracker moved up from the stick horse and did a solo barrel racing run on her Auntie Em's big horse Fox.  


Seeing her fearlessly enter the arena and use her teeny tiny, but so very strong, legs and arms to maneuver that big red horse around the barrels was enough to...well, it was one of those moments I had to remind myself to breathe.   


And when she came running home with a look of "I can do anything" spread across her face, it made me think that this girl will indeed do anything.  Anything she wants and sets her mind to will be in her grasp.  Firecracker has the will and the fearlessness to tackle.  Now her five year old self knows that she can climb up on a horse and do it.  That knowing of setting her mind to something and accomplishing will carry with her.   


My heart squeezed.  Then, after she had jumped down, I squeezed her in an enormous hug and kissed her cheek and said, "I'm so proud of you.  You did amazing!  I love you."

I can't imagine what my brother and sister-in-law were feeling.  It had to be like watching their own hearts wearing a striped pink tank top beat out of their chest in that arena.     


Kids doing big things.  It'll get you. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of this little girl!

Hallmon said...

Firecracker!!!! WOW!!! Her lil legs don't even reach but she's doing it! That is sooo cool!