7.22.2011

With a Side of Garden

Whoa!

First garden produce.  


This is my first year caring about the garden.  My family has always been on the garden band wagon and now I've jumped on with both feet.  The reason I first started to care was for the natural food aspect.  Dirt + seed + water + sun = food.  And that is how it should be.  But, what I have found through caring about the garden is this...sitting in the dirt with my legs tucked underneath me and the sun shining on my head with ipod music inspiring my ears is dang good for my soul.  The quiet time weeding has become my think time.  My slow my roll down and process, really process, what is going on in my life time.   

The garden this year is far from fantastic as a large portion was flooded out shortly after the planting, but it is giving us some produce.  First up was kohlrabi, swiss chard {the stuff that looks kind of like rhubarb}, radishes, and green onions.  The radishes are all cleaned up and sitting in a ziploc bag of water in my fridge waiting to be used.  However, the kohlrabi, swiss chard, and onions didn't even survive three hours before they were gobbled up.  I made a quick simple stir fry out of kohlrabi, onions, and mushrooms while the swisschard was steamed.  Then both were used as sides for fish tacos. 


Let me jump in here and say that fish tacos were made in my kitchen.  Real fish tacos.  With the cabbage slaw cilantro lime whole shebang.  Somebody manned the fish and I manned the rest and it was a success.  

I wasn't able to take any pictures during the fish taco making because I'm still at the point in my cooking journey where I need to concentrate and pay attention to what is going on when I'm making something new.  But, I will make them again and now that I know what I'm doing, a stop here and there for a photo won't throw my game off.  And then I'll share the recipe with you.   

Having a garden, taking care of that garden, cooking, and eating real food are all proving to pretty much make my heart sing.  

I'm off now to try and wrestle with the tiller for the rest of the afternoon.  I'm not sure that part of gardening will be heart singing inducing.  Hopefully the tiller doesn't end up taking me down, giving me the typewriter, and winning.
 

3 comments:

Danica said...

I love gardening :) And eating :)

Momma Debi said...

And you really did wrestle the tiller! I think you won. Good job. The garden looks much better. Thanks.

Sandy said...

Delicious description and photos. I will be waiting for the recipe. Mmmmmmm.