7.30.2011

Shiny Objects

It's 5:25 on a Saturday evening.  If it was winter, this would be straight up night.  But since it's only summer, I more like to think of it as evening.  It's 5:26 now.  And I'm drinking coffee.  Hot coffee.  Sitting on my patio in the 84 degree weather.  

I'm maybe not normal.  

I have been working on writing a little ditty of a story and a few minutes ago, I looked up and saw my reflection in my laptop screen and couldn't help but chuckle.  Blonde wind blown all over hair with serious roots...

Here's where I digress and say that on Thursday I turned to a group of ladies, grabbed a chunk of my locks, and said, "Now I'm not sure if you can tell this, but this is not my real hair color."  

Here's where I really digress again and say that I have a hair appointment on Monday.  

Now back to my reflection.  Crazy hair I ended up holding back with my fingers.  Glasses.  And a very distinguished forehead wrinkle crease thing between my eyes.  Like I was seriously concentrating.  I was.  It wasn't "like a" situation.  I was concentrating on what I was writing.  Thinking.  Pursed lips and all.    


I was focused.  

Until I became distracted with the joy of reflective objects.  

Look Something Shiny Syndrome.  I have that. 


 But here's what else I know I have.  

A sense of peace with who I am.  

I am at peace with myself.  It took me 28 years to get here.  To the place where I can honestly say I get who I am.   

And I'm happy with who I am.  


I can't tell you how I arrived at this place; it's not a series of pin pointable moments or a  book of how-to's.  I don't know the why and the how.  I suppose it's different for everyone.  Sow your own oats right?       

But I can tell you that I hope everyone gets there.  Life is way too short to not enjoy the shit out of your own company.    

I officially will now go back to what I originally was working on.  It's 5:39 now.  14 minutes of distract-ability at its finest.  Dang those shiny objects. 

2 comments:

Gemma said...

Those were cute pics of you! I like. You are adorable!!

Tina said...

I'll be in line for one of those autographed copies of your book... You can do it!!! =)