4.04.2012

More Than Sewing Confetti

Last night, I wrote of friend magic.  

I said I believe in friend magic.  

I do.  

Way down deep in my soul, I believe in the power of having friends who get you, accept you, love you, and laugh at you.  When you possess those types of friendships in your life, there is is beautiful sense of fulfillment.  Because it's like you know that no matter what happens, in one phone call or text message, you can be reminded that you in fact, are alright.  

On Sunday, I had a party at my house.  There was confetti felt garland and balloons and marshmallow confetti pops and appetizers and pictures and cake and candles and singing.  All the birthday necessities accounted for. 


But really what there was was this.  An umbrella over the whole day.  An umbrella of feeling of this is one small thing I can do for my friend and I hope that this one small thing will ease some stress and take away some anxiety and wrap her up in my friend love.  So as I was dipping marshmallows in melted chocolate and sprinkles early Sunday morning while sipping coffee, I was hoping through those simple acts of party, Danae would feel that in fact, she's alright.  It will all be good because dang it, we'll make it good.


Life can throw wrenches and curve balls and generally give you more than you can handle at times.  Danae and Blake were thrown an oversized wrench, but they aren't letting it knock them over.  Emma's surgery went well, but the recovery is rough.  Keeping a newly turned three year old calm and still is not a simple task and cleaning the incisions takes strength of all kinds.  They are rolling with it and rising to it and I could not be more proud.  I love them like family.  Let's be real.  They are my family.  


So a birthday party?  I'll throw a birthday party for any one of them any day of the week.  If it makes them feel the love of friend magic.


Besides, the nerdy nerd that lives inside of me could not have been more thrilled to sit at a sewing machine in my mom's sewing room on Saturday early evening sewing felt circles one after another.  Momma Debi loves me and loves my friends so she was right there to help with her circle cutting out and making of homemade bread and ironing on fabric confetti to a tiny white shirt.  It goes without saying, I'm thankful for that momma of mine.

         
And I have one more thing to say about friend magic.  It's contagious.  Like a circle which wants to keep going and going.  Let me explain.  

I had zero voice on Saturday.  Woke up feeling the ick of a swollen neck and vocal chords that didn't work.  Karen and I had planned for a morning run.  Which we did.  Then it's like she knew.  Knew I didn't feel good and was struggling with sick so she helped me complete all the errands for the party; went with me to the fabric store, the cake store, the Target store, the party store.  And late on Saturday night, after I got back from sewing at the farm and she was done with her family barbeque, she called and said, "Can I help you with anything?"  My response was, "I think I've got it, but what I really need is laundry detergent.  I just ran out and want to get this done before tomorrow."  Without a second of hesitation, she answered, "I'll bring some right over."  

Then she stayed until 12:30 in the morning.  Popping grapes off their stems, stirring dips, drying flatware so it would be spot free, dusting furniture, standing on a chair to help hang garland, and ingeniously offering ideas to make it all a little prettier. 


Late that night as we stood in the middle of my living room, we couldn't help but high five.  We high fived and declared that once again, we made a good team.  Grad school finishing, half marathon running, and now birthday party executing.  Then as if she hadn't already rocked her friend flying flag, she texted early the next morning, "Need anymore help?"   

Friend circle magic.  Karen cared just as much about that party for Emma as I did and she wanted Danae to feel loved too.  As she and I sat on my patio Sunday evening after the party was over and visited over a glass or two of wine, she was the same excited I was about the day being exactly what we had all hoped for.  When my phone rang and Danae showed up as the caller, I answered.  And what I heard on the other end of the line was the voice of little Emma, "Thank you for my party Amy!  It was so fun!" 


Then Danae took the phone and once again thanked me and I said, "Someday you'll do something for me when I need it.  That's how this works."


When I say my friends are the best ever, I mean it.  They are.  And I hope they all know how much they fulfill me. 

Go hug a friend today.  Or call them.  Or text them.  Or email them.  Or send them a letter.  Do SOMETHING.  Something to let those people in your life you call friends know they are loved by you.  There's never too much sharing of love.  Never.

No comments: