7.11.2010

Small Town USA

There is just something about the feel of a small town on the 4th of July.  And, the small town where I grew up does it right on the 4th of July; street dance, parade, games, golf tournament...it's an old fashioned celebration complete with a pie eating contest. 

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays.  I wanted some fireworks on my toes and so I made it happen.  Never mind that I have really long toes; it's just part of my charm.   


The parade is held in the morning and it's awesome to wake up and go celebrate the United States of America.  I can't help but get a little choked up at the start when the Star Spangled Banner plays.  And, yes that is a bar in the background with a PBR sign...what small town doesn't have that? 


During the parade, I looked around and saw all walks of life reveling in a piece of Americana.  Small town Americana.  The best kind.  The kind where little boys get to be in awe of green tractors and kids get to run around collecting candy.   


Sister Pister's shades provided a nice pinging moment for me.  Who doesn't love a fire truck with flags on the 4th of July? 


Warning.  Cute Baby Alert.  Little Man was full of smiles. 


If you don't experience a small town parade on the 4th of July at least one time in your life, I feel a bit sorry for you.  It's really a must do.  If anything, do it for the horses. 


Or maybe do it for the candy.  I'm pretty sure Firecracker and Easy Rider do. 


Or do it because you can hold your grandbaby.  I'm pretty sure that's one of Momma Debi and Dad-o's main goals. 


I do it because I get to see so many of the people I hold near and dear.  Like this pretty momma and her two babies {plus she has a bun in the oven}.  Our families are tight and we grew up together camping, putting on shows, playing pinochle, and doing each other's hair.  I love her like a sister. 


I also love Sil like a sister.  Good thing she's my sister-in-law.  We rarely have a picture together {it has something to do with the camera being permanently attached to my face} and this one makes my heart happy.   


Warning.  Another Cute Baby Alert. 


Danae and I.  Our new motto is "Friends through Thick and Thin."  We are on a bit of mission which won't be disclosed quite yet.  If you remember, I'm like an aunt to Danae and Blake's two kiddos {Owen and Emma}; well, really I am their aunt...just not by blood. 


I see Owen and Emma basically every day {the mission...it's all about the mission} and they always make me smile. 


Now Blake can handle a bit of razzing so here goes.  Blake has always had some issues with smiling for pictures.  He's been known to do a goofy half grin thing.  On the night of Blake and Danae's wedding rehearsal, all of us bridesmaids and groomsmen actually tried to give Blake smiling lessons {complete with lots of action practice} for the next day because we didn't want their wedding pictures to look ridiculous.  It's the kind of friends we are.  So, now Owen has adopted his dad's goofy smile for pictures and little Owen said to me the other day, "I smile like Blake" because he had heard Danae and I talk about it.  Even though you might smile like your dad, you are still pretty cute Owen. 


Random.  This is random, but that's what I do best.  This Blake's dad.  This picture is all wrong technically speaking but something about it is all right.  This guy here is a gem.  A small town gem. 


After the parade, there's kid races and an egg toss.  I'm telling you, this celebration is like stepping back in time for a bit.  Going back to a place where kids can run freely and where everyone wants to get together and have some fun.  Firecracker and Easy Rider ran in the races and Sister Pister participated in the egg toss. 


Probably my favorite thing at the festivities was this shirt worn by a guy I went to high school with.  I can hardly contain myself either. 


So, small town USA still exists.  I'm just lucky enough to get to experience it every once in awhile.  It's good stuff. 

2 comments:

Brittany Miller said...

Couldn't agree more!

Danica said...

Ok. I am going to exert self control and STOP commenting (for tonight anyway) BUT oh dear Berthold 4th of July! I lived right in town and can remember being little and going to sleep that night hearing the music from the street dance. Sigh..... :)