10.09.2010

Pumpkins - Pumpkins - Pumpkins

Fall is by far my favorite season.  I love everything about it.  The chill in the air, the warm colors, the smell of pumpkin spice-y made things, wearing sweaters, sitting outside with a blanket and a cup of coffee, wearing scarves...in my book, it's the best time of year.  It's my first fall in this house so I did some thinking about how I wanted my outdoor fall decorations to look.  I had a hair brained idea to create stacks of pumpkins because I saw one done somewhere and thought to myself, "Self, that can not be that hard.  Do that." 

First, I had to round up pumpkins.  Lots and lots of pumpkins.  Lucky for me a friend had planted a pumpkin patch on his farm and he was willing to share.  I just had to go out there and do some picking.  I might have squeeze hugged some of his farm workers too.  I just might have.  We all know sixty five year old men love a good squeeze hug on a Wednesday afternoon.  And, I scored the two pieces of rebar from that farm also, but I do believe you could buy it in a store.   


Of course, when I got home from the great pumpkin round up, it was dark and late so I couldn't get to building my creation right then.  All of those pumpkins had to sit in my garage unattended for a whole day.  I hope they didn't get into too much trouble while I was at work. 

Then, because of the crazy schedule lately, when I arrived home the next night, it was also dark and late but I just couldn't not get it done so I turned on the outdoor lights and went to work.  I felt like a pumpkin elf.  And, I'm sure me slamming pumpkins onto rebar outside at eleven thirty at night just gave more for the neighbors to wonder about.  I believe I have sent them in a constant puzzlement over my shenanigans.

 
So, I have no pictures of the makings of these pumpkin stacks because it was dark and late.  But, I'll give you the quick run down in case you want to create pumpkin stacks of your own. 
  • Push a piece of rebar into the ground. 
  • Slam a pumpkin down onto the rebar. 
  • It will go about half way through with your first slam. 
  • Then, take a five gallon bucket that is partially filled with sand {don't ask why I had that laying around...it has to do with a redneck, broken mailbox} and slam the top of the pumpkin. 
  • This will cause the rebar to go all the way through the pumpkin. 
  • Then, just push the pumpkin all the way to the bottom.
  • Repeat the process until you are done. 
Now, I have a couple words of warning for you with this project.  One, it could get expensive if you had to purchase pumpkins so make friends with a farmer who plants a pumpkin patch.  Two, be very careful with the slamming of the pumpkins onto the rebar...don't lean over the pumpkin while you are slamming; your hands and face will thank you.  Three, your neighbors will think you are nuts when they wake up in the morning to your pumpkin stacks...or maybe they will just think you are really a pumpkin elf.  Either way, just be prepared.  Four, the pumpkin stacks will make your heart happy when you drive up to your house; very happy indeed. 


I'm a big fan of this green pumpkin.  It's a little off the beaten pumpkin path because it's supposed to be green.  I love things that are a little off the beaten path...they make me feel right at home. 


When I just looked back at these pictures, I noticed some weeds in my rocks.  That just won't do.  I need to out and pick those.  Now. 

4 comments:

KATHY JENSEN said...

Amy, you are without a doubt one of the most creative people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing! Your upbeat attitude and handy dandy talents far exceed anyone I know! Keep it up girl!!

Anonymous said...

Well i am glad to see you got your project achieved. They look good!
I applaud you :o) - Becky

Amy said...

Kathy...thanks so much for your encouragement and support! And, Becky...yessss, mission accomplished. :)

Kathy said...

Your neighbors aren't wondering about your shenanigans, they are in awe of your creativity and they are telling their friends how amazing this girl is who bought the house in their neighborhood.