12.01.2011

Otherwise Known as Heart Warmies

I forgot my lunch at home yesterday.  Packed it all up like I always do after the five in the morning run but before the first cup of coffee.  Then I missed the ever important step of taking it back out of the fridge when I was all done with my morning fluttering to bring it along with me for the adventure I call work.  

So Karen and I had Soup Wednesday lunch.  Soup Friday really has become a tradition.  It seems to me when you make a name for something, it usually does come to fruition.  There is this old fashioned place just up the street from where we work called The Rolling Pin.  Yes, the name says it all.  They do it up homemade.  And it has mint green wall paper and cute little ladies who help you.  We get our soup from there.  One quart.  Which gives us two bowls.  With two unsweetened iced teas to accompany the homemade soup goodness. 

While I was standing in line yesterday, the snow was falling down outside and my leggings tucked inside tall boots and striped finger gloves were delivering on their usual heart happiness.  Then it got even better.  In front of me was a gray haired, mismatched clothing elderly couple.  The wife walked over the bakery spin display case and said, "Oooooh!  Papa look at those caramel rolls."  The husband looked at his wife and said, "They sure do look good honey."  And I swear he still had a twinkle in his eye for that woman of his.  I know he did.  It made me smile and hope that when I'm old and gray and wearing mismatched articles of clothing, I will turn to my husband and call him Papa and he will look at me with a twinkle.

Warmed my heart.  Those two cute bugs warmed my heart.  

Which got me thinking about all of the heart warmies happening in my life lately.  It's like they've rallied and come swooping in.  Just when a girl needed them the most.  

Heart Warmie Number One.
On Monday night I received a text with a picture from my friend Karen.  The picture was of this artwork, which I have now stolen.  It was made by their first grade daughter when she was at a friend's house for a birthday party this past weekend.  Turns out she loves her family and she loves me.  That little stinker made my day with her addition of "and Amy" at the end of her story. 


Heart Warmie Number Two.
I had zero makeup on.  My hair had been put in a pony-tail while it was wet and my crazy curls were popping around all over.  I had on yoga pants and a white shirt.  And Santa slippers.  I was wearing Santa slippers.  In that moment I was told, "You're beautiful.  You're really beautiful."  Which made me laugh because I was totally nerd-herding it up.  I explained that I was not wearing make-up and to take a look at my hair and I was interrupted with another, "But you are.  Beautiful."  Heart officially warmed right up. 

Heart Warmie Number Three.  
White shimmering lights.  When you sit in the lamp lit darkness with white shimmering Christmas lights doing their thing, magic happens.  I just know it.  A fire, a quilt, and a book complete the scene and give me the green light to slow my roll.


Heart Warmie Number Four.
Having someone in my life who understands my need to text these types of messages at random times is priceless.        

"Celery and cranberries are NOT on sale anymore.  But those silly almond bark covered pretzels are.  I have never understood those things.  A pretzel is weird enough without a special covering added."  

"This time I wanted to tell you that it's impossible to put both of your shoes on at the same time.  I've been thinking about it and you can't do it.  Unless you had some serious jumping skills."  

"Here's a tip for you...don't buy generic popping corn.  Orville really is better.  Way less dead heads.  You can buy generic graham crackers.  I mean they totally work the same no matter what.  But popping corn?  Hell no.  You need to go big." 

He even replies when I send this ridiculousness.  Not ignores.  But replies.  And that makes me smile.   

Heart Warmie Number Five.
I crashed Momma Debi's book club.  Because I wanted to sit next to my mom and talk about books with her and her friends.  And it was just as magnificent as I thought it'd be.  There was white wine and red wine and laughing until tears appeared and talk of the book and chatter about life...all while I was sitting by my mom.  Life is good during those moments.  Real good.


Swooping in.  Things to warm my heart have been rallying and swooping in.  And every single time one makes their appearance, I am ever so gently reminded once again...yes indeed, I am one of the lucky ones.  I sure am.  

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

You need to crash our book club more often!

bonniewald said...

Who is this "He" you mention?? Is it someone we ALL should know about:)