11.29.2011

Brownie Floor Picnics

We had a family dinner at the farm on Sunday.  

The two boys, the middles of the munchkin four pack, wanted a brownie.  They wanted a brownie bad.  Like standing below the pan doing the brownie happy dance.  Their parental units, otherwise known as my brother and sister-in-law, said no to their brownie want.  

I sneakily cut little brownies out of the pan and quietly told the middles to follow me.  We tucked around the corner of my parents' kitchen.  Right next to the stairway by the laundry room.  And we sat on the floor.  We sat on the floor and I handed them each a brownie and held my finger up to my lips and said, "Shhhh, we're having a brownie floor picnic."  The two middles looked at me with sparkles in their eyes as they tried to quiet the giggles that were escaping from their brownie filled mouths. 

There we sat.  The three of us.  On the floor.  With our legs crossed.  Sneaking a brownie.  Giggling.  

My heart took a picture.  

Then Sil came around the corner and said, "I know what is going on here and just you wait.  Oh just you wait.  I hear paybacks are a you know what."  

Word spread across the kitchen of the brownie floor picnic and laughter floated around.  And I said, "I'm the aunt.  I get to do this."  

Later on, my brother made dessert.  I think I must say that again.  Brother made dessert.  Like he stood in the kitchen and made something happen with ingredients.  He whipped up a holiday cinnamon cranberry bread pudding with a homemade caramel sauce.  It was delicious.  


I don't even like bread pudding usually and this was yummy.  Worthy of making it a "dessert day" for sure.  Brother was only slightly proud of himself.  I think he was waiting for us to actually give him a pat on the back.  Here's me saying, "Good job.  You made dessert.  Good job."  I won't mention the part about Sil helping with prep work.  I wouldn't want to take any of Brother's thunder away. 


Then later later on while the water was running and dishes were clanging and chairs were sliding in the kitchen, I snuggled up on the couch with trivia cards and my niece.  She is a smart cookie.  I love the way her brain works.  Quick and witty.  And sitting there with her head on my shoulder and her little legs tucked up next to mine was a quick reminder of why I choose to stay living in this area. 

  
I remain here.  I remain here so I can be a part of family dinners at the farm on a Sunday.  With brownie floor picnics, Brother making dessert, Sister Pister filling in Sil and I on the latest boy, my parents visiting with me about my latest endeavors, trivia card playing curled up on the couch, holding that tiny nugget of a punky baby...simply being with my family. 

I remain here to have the gift of being with my family.  And for sneaky brownie floor picnics of course.  They are the best.    

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Absolutely LOVE this, Amy. The togetherness and fun and happiness seep through the words and pictures. And the reasons you stay - FAMILY - are priceless. Take it from someone who did not stay --- and misses out on so very much. Thank you for sharing a piece of what I miss out on.