1.01.2013

My Wish

Well I rang in the new year this morning with blackberry jam on toast from fresh bread, hot coffee, and the sight of my neighbor sweeping the fresh snow crystals off his driveway.  He's so particular they don't even have to be categorized as flakes before he's out taking care of the sweeping with a broom.
I love jelly toast, I don't call it jam toast.  I call it jelly toast.  Usually it's a treat reserved for a Sunday morning here or there, but today I did it up while watching that sweet neighbor of mine. 
And I had a moment of reflection because I felt it is one's job to do on New Year's Day, to think about the next 365 days and to make a plan or a goal of some kind. 
But what happened this morning as I sipped coffee and took bites of jelly toast was I didn't feel any urge to change things up. 
I'm happy. 
I'm content in the best kind of way.  And I know there will be things lying within these upcoming days to keep me challenged and motivated and push me to new levels.  I know they will pop up as stones in the path and I will embrace them as they find me. 
So maybe my resolution is simple this year. 
To live in the small and embrace the gifts within not just months or days, but rather the tiniest of tiny gifts found in the minutes and the seconds which make up the every single day. 
And I wish happiness to you all.  A happiness which stems from your inners, all on your own.  The healthy happiness, the one not dependent upon others to fill. 
 
I ran across this poem somewhere in my December readings and I'm not entirely certain who the author is, but I feel it's a rather fitting New Year's Day blessing. 
I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more. 
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive. 
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess. 
I wish you enough "hello's" to get you through the final "good-bye." 

No comments: