1.22.2013

Pizza Pizza Pizza

Homemade pizza crust.  Once you go there, you'll never go back. 

This whole wheat version was given to me by the technology director of our district.  Karen and I were students of his in grad school one semester and ever since we gave him nonstop hugs and ridiculousness, he has kept tabs.  Like the time I ran into him in the gym and he said, "I figured out a really great way to make whole wheat pizza crust."  And I said back, "Well share it with me!" 

So he did.  Sent me the recipe and now I'm a pizza crust making fool. 

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
  • Warm the water to "baby bottle" temperature (this is Momma Debi terminology) and add the olive oil.
  • Add the yeast to the warm olive oil water and let sit for a few minutes until the yeast starts to do its thing (this is my terminology.
  • In your mixer's bowl, combine all dry ingredients and add the yeast concoction to the top, mix with bread hook on low until well combined, and then switch to just a titch faster for about 5 minutes.  I can always tell dough is ready when it starts to slap the sides of my bowl.  You'll know what I mean when you make it.  Slap, slap, slap it goes. 
  • Take the dough out to a floured counter and knead for 5 more minutes.  
  • Put it back into the bowl.
  • Cover bowl with damp cloth and let dough rise in a warm place for 10 minutes.  In front of fireplace is rocking.
  • Split dough in half and form into discs (freeze one now if you want).
  • Coat pizza pan with cooking spray, spread one dough disc.
  • Use fork to put some holes in the top.
  • Bake crust at 450° for 7 minutes or until just barely crusty to the touch, take it out of oven.   
  • Pop the oven temp up to 500° (just to ensure the oven is hot hot when the pizza goes in). 
  • Top the crust with sauce, toppings, and cheese.
  • Put the oven temp back down to 450° and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until nicely browned.  Remember it's a whole wheat crust so it will look more brown than usual.  You don't want a soggy middle pizza!  
**Yes I use the tablespoon of sugar in this recipe.  I haven't tried honey as a substitute yet or tried it without but I'm thinking it would probably be just fine either way. 


Making pizza dough is especially the greatest while still not showered and changed from the gym, with hood up too.  That's really classy but there's not much you can do about it while your hands are in the dough and someone flips the hood on top of your head.

Also I have noticed I tend to do my cooking with cupboard doors open.  Is anyone with me on that?   


I think of my grandma every single time I knead dough.  Every single time. 


Sunday sunlight streaming makes spending time in the kitchen a beautiful thing. 


The recipe makes enough for two large pizzas so after it has risen, I lop it in half and know there is a crust ready and waiting in the freezer for a quick week night meal.  And yes, I made this pizza back on January 6, 2013 in case you wanted to know. 


After you squish the dough around on a pan, take a fork and make some holes; I learned that trick from Momma Debi when I was growing up.  It helps with air bubbles.  It's also important you bake the crust for about seven minutes before you put the sauce and toppings on, prevents the soggy crust syndrome.  I learned that from my first ever real job of being a Hot Stuff Pizza girl at the local gas station when I was fourteen. 


Pizza sauce from the garden is the best ever.  Plan to have a garden next year please. 


This day, I had leftover ham in my fridge so it was shredded and put on the pizza.  It was different and delicious in its very own way.   


Sometimes figuring out what to do next is difficult for me. 


Voila!  Pizza!  I bet you can guess which part is mine.  No pepperonis and white cheese only, thank you very much.  


I was so hungry by the time it was out of the oven I forget to take a picture of the finished product.  So instead look at my plate of cut up pizza.  And here's one more bossy Amy moment for the road...cutting in squares is totally the way to go. 

Now, go forth and pizza crust.  Shoot.  That was bossy again.      

2 comments:

NoDak Herefords said...

You froze the dough in a ball. What is the best way to thaw it out? Do you knead it again and let it raise? Just curious. It looks wonderful.

Signed, your Aurelia, ND neighbor!

Amy said...

I just let it sit out until it's thawed and smush it into crust. It's already risen once so this seems to work. But I always think it's important to do experimenting so let me know if you come up with a better way! :)