10.30.2013

A Smattering of Sorts

'Twas the night before Halloween and all through the house, Billy was watching the World Series while Amy was finishing up the last round of orange treats for the little trickers and pumpkin cookies for the big trickers.


I've decided I really am a sucker for holidays.  Give me a reason to theme and the rest is history.

I've been drawing pumpkin faces on mandarin oranges for the past three nights and making more batches of Halloween Bark from that party because it was a hit and then tonight, I found myself first admiring the prettiness of a bowl of ingredients and second making quite possibly the best pumpkin treat yet.  


There's this odd little being inside me which finds things like flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, powder, and salt something worth looking at.


But for some reason, the wet ingredients weren't quite as appealing.


However the end product hit it out of the park.  Notice my slight baseball innuendo there.  Patting myself on the back.  


These pumpkin cookies, goodness gracious.  Although they are more like a cakinie -- a hybrid between a cake and a muffin and a cookie.  But totally delicious.  I had one.  I mean really, you can't serve a new recipe to people without sampling first.  Feel free to make these.  Your house will smell like a slice of fall festival.

Wet
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups sugar
1 can pumpkin
1 1/2 tsp vanilla


Dry
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

  1. Combine wet ingredients
  2. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl
  3. Add the dry to the wet & mix together until smooth.  Add as many chocolate chips as your heart desires (1 cup milk chocolate and 1 cup of mini semi sweet was a win)...drop onto pan.  Bake @ 400 / 10 minutes.   
Here's where I say, eating these cookies with coffee just might be the ticket.  Possibly even a home run of sorts.

Here's where I also say these will be making an appearance on Thanksgiving week.  Family, be ready.  Coffee and pumpkin cookies and sun.  It's happening.  

I have fourteen more pumpkin faces to draw so I best get to it.  And there's one inning left in this game.  Top of the ninth for him.  Bottom of the ninth for me.  Promise that's the last one.     


I'm sitting here writing this from my new favorite spot, an old rocker which came home with me on Saturday morning.  Because if you give Amy twelve minutes in between packing for an overnight trip, getting ready to take pictures at her uncle's wedding, and dropping off family pictures at her boss' house...she will jump in her friend Brittany's van and find the rocker.  

Then she'll come home and have to figure out where to put the rocker and that starts a whole other story.  One which involves a hijacked trip to Target on the way home from Bismarck and mild living room rearranging during Sunday night's baseball game.  Like I said, a whole other story entirely.

No comments: