10.06.2013

Faith Giving

This morning I drove to the farm as the sun was rising behind me to have coffee and eat three too many slices of fresh homemade bread while visiting about life with a few of my favorite people.

Sundays are my jam.  Particularly Sunday mornings because there's something special about them.  I could try to explain it by saying the sun shines more intense as it rises or the coffee mug's steam feels more warming as it rises and is held without having to rush, but more than likely it's an unwritten understanding.

Sundays.   

Last Sunday morning I took pictures of a fresh baby at her grandparents' home in a beyond beautiful kitchen with a coulee view of the changing leaves.  The baby girl's mom and dad are first time parents and are soaring, the grandma and grandpa were on hand with smiling looks like only grandmas and grandpas can give, and there was some stellar coffee present.  The very perfect thing to enjoy while waiting for baby Alvi to settle back into sleep.  

I'm not patient about many things.  Many things.  Too many to go into a list here.  

However, I am very patient at waiting for babies to settle in to calm.  The mom started to dart her eyes around when Alvi began fussing and I was all, "Oh don't you worry.  I have all morning and I'll just drink this cup of coffee and visit."  

And soon, that sweet face was sleeping once again.  

Oh babies.  

At one point while that smushed up bundle of wrinkly skin was curled up in a cream crocheted blanket, I actually said out loud, "This gives me faith in humanity again."


Also at one point I looked at the new mom's freshly puked on face as she proclaimed, "Ummmm yeah so just try and not have the puke stain show on the pictures I guess."  

I looked down at my purple flowy shirt which happened to be the same color as her shirt, "Just wear mine.  Wear this shirt.  It's the same color and everything."  

Then I took off my shirt right there in that beyond beautiful kitchen with a coulee view of the changing leaves.  Clearly I was wearing layers and clearly I believe new moms should be treated like royalty of the utmost esteem, worthy of the shirt off my back and all.  

I mean her child gave me faith in humanity last Sunday morning, the very least I could do was give my shirt to wear.


No comments: