10.23.2013

Oh the Thought of It

I'm not one for superficial weather talk as I like to believe it's appropriate to visit with strangers about real subjects, like their deepest darkest secrets, not just if it's sunny or windy or chilly with a side of icy.  

But here I go, skipping right past deepest darkest and heading right for the big W words like winter and windy and snow.  Snow is an S word but still.  

It been snowing here this week, just a light tiny dusting every morning but nonetheless it is white on the green grass when I peek out the window at o'dark thirty.  

It is chilly here this week, not bone chilling below zero yet, but cold enough my hands hurt while I filled gas.  To which then I felt the need to text Billy with, "Your beloved hates the cold.  I'm not made for it.  And I hate it.  I'm moving."  To which he replied, "AZ!"  Because he's supportive like that and also because he knows I'm not serious and I was just in my, happens more than I care to admit, whiny pants state of mind. 

I feel maybe I should give a little explanation here as to why thirty degree weather would make my hands hurt and why the thought of being cold all the time again makes me actually want to cry.  I have Raynaud's.  My fingernails are blue from October to March and the skin on my hands and feet gets red splotchy itchy and has a general want to peel it off kind of feeling.  

Blue fingernails make you look like you are not doing so great so I tend to keep them painted for the nine months it's winter here.  It's okay to have artificially made green fingernails but it is not okay to have real life blue ones.  Trust me. 

 
Oh winter.  I really truly want to drop kick you and you haven't even started.  The only good thing about you is I do like wearing hats.  Hats are golden.

And I'm counting on this week simply being a reality check for all of us here in the Land of Nod.  I don't know what the Land of Nod really is but it could be used as an acronym for North Dakota and I'm just realizing that as I write this so I think I kind of like it.  I will look up land of Nod now to see what it really means...    


So I did and what it refers to is as the land east of Eden in the Biblical days and it's where Cain was exiled after he did you know what to his brother.  Nowadays it's often mentioned when wanting to indicate a wandering sense, finding a place to get lost in.  That is my paraphrasing of the most reliable form of information out there...Google.  

It fits.  North Dakota.  Land of Nod.  

Veering back to center from that tangent.  

I'm counting on this week simply being a reality check, a reminder of enjoy the fall fifties and forties while you can folks.  A reminder, not a stay forever.  I'm simply not ready to leave behind golden leaves and grass underfoot.   

No comments: