10.18.2013

May We Raise Them

It's Halloween party morning!  

As I said last night, Danae and I spent our day yesterday with all things orange and brown and black and yellow.  And with seven kids.  Having seven kids would be something.  That's what I've decided.  

I digress.  

The four girls stayed in the kitchen with us for a bit while the boys...well...while they were doing things like this.


I have no words for that other than to say boys are very much boys.  That's all there is to it.  

The girls were quite the helpers. 


Coincidentally, yesterday morning while at a downtown shop I ran across this saying...

Strong women.  
May we know them.  
May we raise them.  
May we be them.   

While the big girls were helping the little girls with cupcake liners, I looked at Danae.  Our eyes met in that way.  The way of are you seeing what I'm seeing.  And then I said, "I saw this quote today about strong women.  Something about may we know them and may we raise them.  Here it is."  

"Amen."  
 

With a nod of our heads and a silent minute watching, that was that.  Because someone needed something and we were both bopping again.  But nonetheless, it was a moment.  A recognition of striving to leave a trail of strong and able and beautiful in these little beings.  

With a touch of knowing the importance of theme and details while partying.  Because clearly, there's a place for that in there as well. 


And I know I don't have kids of my own, but I believe in a village.  I believe it takes more than parents to instill values of courage and love and ridiculousness, more than parents to raise them.  I am beyond blessed to be surrounded by a circle who allows me to be a part of their village.

No comments: