2.28.2010

Who Me?

I've done two ridiculous things today that are totally out of my character.  Number one.  I baked.  Number two.  I ironed. 















First the baking.  I made an angel food cake.  Yes, it was out of a box, but I did have to read the directions and mix it up and pour it and pre-heat the oven and ok fine, it was the easy way. 


I decided to make an angel food cake because I have my grandma's angel food cake pan.  She did not use a box mix and her angel food cakes were simply delightful. 


The whole making of the cake went quite well but really, who can't add water and beat for 1 minute?  I can't give myself too much credit...yet.   


I even poured it into the pan quite nicely.  Again, though, not giving myself credit...yet. 


I was about to throw the box away when I read this.  The part next to "immediately."  I panicked.  A glass bottle?  I don't have one of those.  I was in a fit of being flustered until it dawned on me. 


Hello.  Use this.  Now this is the part of the baking an angel food cake I give myself credit for.  Thinking on my feet and using my resources.  I can say with fairly decent certainty that Grandma did not use this kind of a glass bottle.  But hey, it's a new era! 


Crisis was averted and I was pleased as punch with myself.  Then, I looked to my left and was reminded of why I am not a baker.  I can't imagine what my kitchen would have looked like if it had been from scratch.  You can tell I am definitely not a seasoned pro.  Rookie status for sure. 


While the cake was baking, I ironed the apron I have hanging on the wall.  Yes, I took it down first.  I may be domesticatedly challenged, but I'm not stupid.  Although, a co-workers husband once asked her this about me, "Can she handle boiling an egg?"  I tried not to take offense. 


Anyways, I may be cooking, baking, and ironing challenged, but I am not decorating challenged so I do have a cute ironing board. 


On a side note, I am also not cleaning challenged, in fact, quite the opposite.  I take pride in my cleaning abilities.  But, today?  Today, I tried to clean my wood floors approximately 3.4 times.  I can't for the life of me get them non-streakish!  Then, when I think I have them looking marvelous I walk on it and it's all over with.  Hence the 3.4 times.  I finally decided to quit looking down and to just look up instead.  Therefore the 0.6 of the time that didn't get finished.  

Wow, sidetracked once again.  Back to ironing. 


The only reason I even thought about ironing the apron that hangs on my wall is because Mom said to me last time she was here, "You know Grandma would hate having that apron wrinkled."  To which I said, "Say what?"  To which she said, "Grandma ironed her aprons before she wore them and it would drive her crazy to see that you have hung a wrinkled apron on the wall."  To which I said, "Oh."  

So here I am today, ironing the dang apron.  I wouldn't want to not honor Grandma correctly.  Although, I can't quite believe that a person would iron their apron?!  One more thing to check on the Grandma was Amazing checklist.

I checked on the cake part way through my ironing and thought to myself..."Houston we may have a problem."  There's a reason they tell you to put your rack down all the way.  I'll try and remember to follow that direction next time.  I said a prayer and went back to ironing. 


The little strappy things that tie behind one's back were a bugger, but I'm not a quitter. 


I finished up the apron in just enough time to hear the timer beep for the cake and I was very pleased to see that it did not hit the top of the oven.  Also, I know you are excited to see how that "glass bottle" worked for holding the cake up. 


Pretty good people.  Pretty good.


The apron is ironed and the angel food cake is baked and I have survived both.  My floors are slightly streaky and it is driving me slightly bananas but like I said, my new approach is to just look up unless any of you have any tried and true suggestions to help.  Maybe I will also drink the bottle that is holding the cake up.  That ought to help me not notice the floors so much.

2 comments:

Brittany Miller said...

Aww... Miller Chill... there are so many things you can accomplish with a Miller Chill!

Makenzie Hennessy said...

A couple things on this post...
1. Even if you think you're not a good baker/ironer/cooker w/e, you are DEFINITELY a good decorator.
2. I really want some Angel Food Cake right now....AND a Miller Chill, even if it is 9:30am!