4.28.2011

Easter on the Farm

FINALLY!  There are some signs of spring popping up and I'm so very thankful to have some sun on my face.  I get this feeling of wanting to just sit in the warmth and smell it.  Like put my nose in the air, close my eyes, and breathe in.  The changing of the season.  It's so good.  

Walking out of church on Easter morning, we were all greeted with a bright shining sun and blue skies for the first time in a long time.  Easter with a side of sun...it was the perfect combination.   

Although when you spend Easter afternoon on the farm, it also comes with a side of green and yellow.  Green, yellow, and blue skies.  Dad-o's idea of an ideal way to spend a holiday.


Well, actually he would probably like it best if he had toes in the sand with a side of drink, but it's go-time on the farm and he's more than ready because he likes things done yesterday.  So Easter afternoon became "installing cameras on one of the air seeders" family bonding time.


Everyone was more than willing to pitch in because it's over.the.time when the rubber should be hitting the road.  Or the rubber hitting the dirt is more like it.  Seeding a road might be awkward.    


After spending some time out by the shop, it became apparent to me that I come by my "everything must be lined up and labeled and in its place" issue naturally...maybe even genetically.  Dad-o was down in one of the tanks zip-tying wire to a pole {or it could have been cable...I really have no idea what  it was that he was doing...something to do with a camera in the tank} and I laughed after he climbed out of the hole.  The zip-ties were all lined up and all cut off at the same length.  And then I went into the shop and all of the tool boxes were labeled and organized...that is thanks to Cousin B.  He also was in charge of running the wire, or maybe it was cable, along the seeder.  It was done perfectly neat.  He loves order too!  Seeing these things makes me feel normal.    


And really, even though we are not blood related, don't even get me started on Cousin B's wife who tends to be my farm partner in crime.  She takes neatness and order to a level even I am not at.  It's serious.  Almost as serious as her mud boots. 


Style while working.  She's got it.  Hers was appropriate style.  Mine?  Not so much.  I did not get the memo that Easter = working in the shop so my only option was wearing my church clothes.  Good thing I wasn't really helping anyway.  Just standing around, taking pictures, and visiting.  Seeings as how the world is extremely muddy right now, I did feel it was important to borrow boot shoes from Momma Debi.  High heels would not have worked.   


Oh yes, it's spring on the farm.  There's mud everywhere, the machinery is out and raring to go, Daisy the dog thinks it has become warm enough that she must lay in the shade {she has a low tolerance for sun}, and the horses are enjoying stretching their legs to start the process of getting in shape to whittle those large winter hay bellies away.  Although, I think it might be the 4th of July before they completely lose their winter shaggy coats...way behind schedule.


Besides horse noses in the sun, another sure sign that summer is right around the corner is Momma D. baking homemade bread like nobody's business.  She's just getting herself prepared to have teenage boys around again.  They are bottomless pits.


Dad-o did let us all quit working in the late afternoon to head into town to spend some time with his side of the family for the rest of the day.  I love my Grandma Audrey.  I love her for her perfect script handwriting.  I love her for the little labels she puts on things.  I love her for making two pans of brownies because "I know some of you all don't like nuts."  I love her for always being perfectly coordinated with jewelry abound.  I love her for her quiet ways.  I love her for her. 


No Easter is complete without the littles dressed in their best.  I swooned over Firecracker's hat with her side swept ponytail.  The cute factor was out of this world.  Then I swooned again over two little boys wearing black suits, white shirts, and lime green ties.  The cowboy boots might have sent me over the edge.  Watching these three run around and belly laugh at the end of the day was like adding a bow to my Easter basket.    


I do believe spring has finally sprung!  And if you ever wonder where I am if you can't find me, I'm probably sitting outside with my nose in the air smelling the sun.   

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I loved this so much it brought me to tears. I love spring coming to ND. I love the farm. I love the traditions of farming being carried on by the generations. I love that you love Audrey, my sister, your grandma. I knew those were her hands in a previous set of photos. I love Audrey. I love you. Thanks, Amy --- Sandy