4.15.2011

Keys, Surprises, WIN!

Sometimes it's beneficial to let people have keys to your house.  

That could be a metaphorical statement that might read, "Sometimes it's good to let people in."  But I don't mean that right now even though I need work in that area.  I mean it literally...keys = door = fun surprises.  

When I came home yesterday, I had two bags of win sitting by my orange rug.  The purse I started sewing in February, not in four pieces like I had left it the last time I saw it, but rather all finished and ready to put lip gloss in and hang on my arm.  And a book written by yours truly in second grade.  A Christmas book.  Who doesn't want to be reminded of their second grade Christmas book on an April afternoon?  I sure do!   


I am proud to say I did approximately 72% of the sewing on this purse.  All of the big X's on each piece.  They are not perfect so therefore, they were done by me, not Momma Debi.  


The goofy stitching on the handles.  That should really not be curvy so therefore, it was executed by me, not Momma Debi.  The button that was my Grandma's.  It's crooked so therefore, it was tacked on by me, not Momma Debi.


The specially made mini pocket partition for lip gloss.  It's a little wonky so therefore, it was pinned and sewed by me, not Momma Debi.  The actual putting together of the purse.  It's rather perfect so therefore, it WAS done by Momma D.


She took the liberty of putting the sides, bottom, and handles all together so it could just.be.done.already.  And then surprised me by dropping it off on a random April afternoon.  Along with some more evidence of my early onset of perfectionistic tendencies.  My second grade self was apparently into decorating details as much as my twenty-seven year old self. 

Two fun surprises.  Let some people have keys to your house.  You never know what you will walk into.


And then today, this has nothing to do with house keys, but today I hit the jackpot of win.  A couple weeks ago, one of the teachers at my school was wearing a sweatshirt straight out of 1989.  White, neon pink, hot blue, a dolphin, AND it said San Diego, California across it.  Now, we all know my feelings about San Diego and we all know my feelings about vintage.  Yes, it might be scary to admit that items from the 80s are now considered a tad on the vintage side, but all the same...I knew I wanted that sweatshirt.  

So I told the teacher, "I want that sweatshirt.  Like for real want it.  Want.  It.  I want it.  "

Then, I walked into work this morning and she GAVE it to me!!  Let me tell you, I did a star-jack and screamed.  It's amazing the things that can make my day.   

To top it off, I happened to be wearing the perfect outfit to compliment the best sweatshirt ever.   Flat shoes, pants rolled a bit, a black tank top, wrist watch...I just switched out my black flower cardigan for the white, neon pink, hot blue, black dolphin masterpiece.  Win!


The above picture was taken a few moments ago, with the neighbors peering in through my once again wide open front door wondering why they had to snag the weirdo for their 'hood.  I should just have a sign that says, "Open Door Means I Need More Light" and then it should say "Come on in, I'll take your picture!" across the bottom.

The below picture was taken at school today after we had a quite the time with oranges in fourth grade.  During snack break with the chicken wings, I was peeling an orange and it had the weirdest skin ever.  It was impossible to peel and then had this whole other layer of white, slimy yuckville underneath.  There was another orange sitting on my desk that was still unpeeled and what happened was...well, a science experiment broke out.  I held up the plate of peeled orange oddness in one hand and the unpeeled orange in the other hand and said, "Dear Chicken Wings, will this orange have weird peeling skin like this one did because they came from the same bag or will it be normal and your teacher can get back to just eating her snack?" Then, we actually did the whole scientific process to test my question.  Teachable moments.  They are some of my favorite kinds.  My poor practicum student from the college probably thinks she was put with the bananas teacher and wants a refund.  I bet she wants a refund.


Alright, that's my fun for now...

Happy Friday to you all!  I hope you have had some win in your day.  I'll be running nine miles tomorrow in between taking pictures of Sister Pister getting her hair and make-up all fixed up for prom and the actual prom festivities.  It's important I take 386 pictures of all that.  It just is.  9 miles and a prom.  My Saturday is fixing to be better than wearing a dolphin sweatshirt on a Friday and that's pretty serious.    

4 comments:

Future Big Bag of Win said...

Refund?! Never. I feel more than lucky to have hit the jackpot with the "Big Bag of WIN" teacher!! Random orange experient and all!
P.S. Your last sentence is on point! I was still racking my brain trying to think of the best way to say that :)

Brittany Miller said...

L.O.V.E. the new purse!

Sandy said...

Great purse and great day...as always, thanks for sharing...

Momma Debi said...

Now there are only 254 unfinished projects in my sewing room.