2.03.2012

A Marketing Pitch

After my love affair with Friday morning in Arizona ended, Momma Debi and I went for some groceries.  Well first we had to wait for the guy from ADT to finish doing his thing.  I only say this because I want to mention that when we were heading out to the backyard so we wouldn't do the creepy watch you while you work business, I turned to ADT Man and said, "Now you don't be looking at her underwear."

I tell you this because ADT Man replied, "We have to be background checked and finger printed before we can work for this company."

I just feel you should know that fact.

Back to the groceries.  If I could plan a grocery store in my head, this Fresh & Easy would be it.  Here's why.  EVERYTHING in it does not involve high fructose corn syrup or any of the other made up stuff which is added to food on a regular basis.   


When we walked through the sliding doors, this is what I saw.  And I said to my mom, "Well isn't this just perfect."  She nodded her head and told me, "The first time your dad and I came here, we said we have to bring Amy here.  She will love this store."  

Let's have a moment for parents knowing their kids.  Most people might get excited about the Superstition Mountains or become all riled up over the thought of a car trip to the Grand Canyon.  My parents know me.  They knew that this grocery store would do it for me.  A normal tourist I am not.  

    
Not only is everything in the store real food, it's also reasonably priced.  Now mind you...I live in the expensive grocery capital of the United States right now.  Thank you oil boom.  Let's just say this is a "fancy" grocery store.  One that would be considered a bit pricey in its location.  But compared to what I pay at our normal grocery store, one which includes high fructose corn syrup, the Fresh & Easy is cheap.   


What's that?  You want chips and salsa?  Just take a little browse and the choices are abundant.  And remember...all real ingredients.  I seriously waited for the choir to pop out from behind the salsa section.  I waited.  Because it would have been singing "Hallelujah!" 

I also spent some time pondering how I could get a weekly shipment of the corn and black bean salsa. 


Once again, I say this.  Affordable food?  Affordable food that is food?  It is out there.  It's just states away.  


Before you start to worry I'm being a Negative Nelly, I will do some explaining.  I live in an area of North Dakota which is in the midst of a massive boom.  Massive.  And I am all about progress and am improvement and am the first to defend said boom.  But, I am tired of paying too much for food.  

I know I am over the groceries situation because I was literally giddy while shopping here.  Giddy.  Like grabbing items from the shelves and yelling in excitement.  "Choices of almond milk!!  And it's not five dollars!!" 


Giddy.  Thinking to myself.  Maybe I should open up a Fresh & Easy in our town.  Could I do that?  Like would it work?  Are there other people out there who are frustrated with our grocery situation?  Could I stand and take a picture of myself in the security camera every morning?  I mean really?  Could I do something like open a grocery store?  


Then Momma Debi shoved me with the cart and brought me back to reality.  I would have to figure out a way to make people.  Make people to work in my store.  Because you can get paid $18.00 an hour to work at Taco Johns here.  Then I'd also have to build houses.  Lots and lots of houses for the people I made because between the flood and the influx of people moving here for those high paying jobs oil field jobs, there simply aren't any available.  Then I'd have to figure out how to pay those people I made enough for them to make their mortgage payment because the housing market is ridiculously inflated.  AND then I'd have to charge more for the food.  Hmmmmm...this problem of high priced groceries is multifaceted.  Dang.  No easy fix.

So instead of taking out a business loan, I decided to lace up my running shoes instead.  That always makes me feel better.

But one last thing...

People of Fresh & Easy, I say this to you.  I don't have the savings account to actually open a business so do you think you all could open up a store in my town?  Yes, you are going to have to pay people a ridiculous hourly wage and yes, you won't be able to actually find anyone to work even if you do pay them that crazy price because they already have jobs.  BUT just think of it as an adventure.  C'mon, it'll be fun!  This girl will be the first in line on the day you open.  The girl who takes of a picture of herself all sweaty after a run because she wants to remember exactly how amazing of a run it was.  The girl whose hair is actually that frizzy.       

No comments: