2.29.2012

Possibly Hard to Follow

Last night, while on the way back from a pep rally, I had a phone conversation which involved making plans for an upcoming evening.  Before I tell you about the chitter chatter, I want to say this.  I am a cheerleader at heart.  I can't help but clap my hands and cheer.  I also want to say I am Class B at heart.  If you are from North Dakota, you get that.  If you aren't, just skip to the next paragraph.  I am forever Class B because I got all chest clamped while at a pep rally in the gym of where I went to high school.  The boys basketball team is going to the state tournament this weekend.  Sister Pister is a senior so naturally she donned a cape and sparkly headband and got after it.  I couldn't help but have another chest clamped moment at seeing her cheer for the boy who used to always invite her to his birthday parties even though she was a girl.  And the other boy who told her things like, "I'm going to be a Schwan Man when I grow up and we are going to get married."  I can't believe she's almost done with the high school thing.  She is supposed to be ten and I'm supposed to be twenty.  Now that's all I'm going to say about that because I don't want to get all chest clampy again.  


Alright.  So on the way home from the pep rally last night, I was involved in a phone conversation to make plans for an upcoming evening.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets a slightly panicky feeling at the thought of being locked into something.  I know this is odd considering I love nothing more than a solid plan.  But I also love nothing more than spontaneous fun and often times solid planning gets in the way.  Contradictory.  Yes.  I am.  

So I said this, "That sounds like a winner but we'll keep in contact.  As much as I'm a planner, I never plan in permanent marker."

To which the person laughed and laughed and said, "That was a good one.  Like should be hanging on a wall good."  

To which I said, "It kind of was huh?  Don't let me forget it.  I'm driving so I can't write it down.  And I do my best forgetting in the car."  

To which the person laughed and said, "I do my best forgetting in the car?  You are on a roll."

The conversation ended and I smiled and rubbed my lips together.  I also might have chuckled a bit at myself.  Because I was wearing red lipstick.  I did not wear red lipstick to the pep rally.  No I did not.  But before I started the trip home, I flipped down the mirror and smoothed some on.  It was night.  I was in a car.  By myself.  Why not right?   


I have recently started a love affair with red lipstick.  Because I have felt the instant hear me roar that comes along with the smooth vibrancy.  I highly suggest going to your Target with your best friend named Karen to stand in the lipstick aisle and pick out a few bright shades.  I also highly suggest having a best friend named Karen who will have the decency to look at you and say, "You are one step away from becoming insert name of person."  I also highly suggest saying back to that comment, "As long as I'm still one step away I'm okay with it, but please tell me if I ever actually arrive there.  Like if I start wearing heels with workout clothes, stop me.  Or if I start wearing Native American beaded chokers, stop me."


Here's my one warning about red lipstick.  You will want to wear it all the time.  And then you have yet one more addiction to add to the list.  One more thing you have to tell yourself to save for only special occasions.  Because if you start wearing the hear me roar all the time, it will lose its shine.  You also will run the risk of looking like a clown at work.  Red lipstick while sitting in a black leather chair at book club holding a glass of wine is more than appropriate.  Red lipstick while organizing books for the reading room at school is highly clown-esque.  Don't say I didn't warn you about the addictiveness.  


Speaking of having the must do this right now personality, there was this one time last fall when I called Karen and in a panicky voice said this, "I want to do all the bad things I have cut out of my life!  Help!  I want to call blank.  I want to eat a cookie.  I want to bite my nails.  I want to clean my floor.  I want to drink a glass of wine and it's not night."  

Lord love a duck, I hope you have a friend you can call when your addictive personality is wearing its superman cape and will not quit bugging you.  

Yes, I just used Lord love a duck.  I said it while sitting at Big Apple Bagel last Saturday morning too.  I'm not sure where it came from or even what it actually means, but it came out of my mouth.  Twice.  Well once it came out of my mouth and once it came out of my fingers.  But you know what I mean.  

This is quickly going to the land of random without a return ticket.  

Let me see if I can pull it back around.  

Pep rally, Class B, planning, permanent markers, red lipstick, addictive personalities, Lord loving a duck...

I have nothing.  I can not tie a bow around that.   

No comments: