2.06.2012

Friday Night Precious to Me

A Friday night out in Arizona looks something like this next train of moments.  It's probably not how it would play out for some, but it was a perfect Momma Debi and Amy time.  After a relaxing afternoon by the pool, we got all ready for an evening out and about.  Then I told my mom to stand by the tree, to smile, and to look pretty.  She listened. 


Upon arrival at the restaurant, I offered to drop Momma Debi off at the door.  I could say I did that because I'm a sweet daughter and didn't want her to have to walk...but if I'm going to be honest, it had more to do with me wanting time in the parking lot to twirl and foot stomp for the setting sun.  


Extremely predictable I am.  Sunsets?  Yes.  Too many bracelets?  Yes.  A glass of Pinot Noir?  Yes.  My aunt and uncle joined us for dinner and they had the idea to sit at the bar while we waited for our table.  It was a winner of a plan.  While my hand was attached to a full glass of wine a bartender walked up and this is the conversation we shared...

Man:  "Do you need anything?  Can I get you something?"  

Me:  "No, I'm on just this side of fabulous with this glass of wine."

Man:  "Ohhh that's a good way to be.  I like it!"

Me:  "I'm all about finding the unicorns."

Man:  "That's crazy because I like unicorns too."  

Me:  "You have to believe in unicorns.  Especially the ones with glitter.  They are the best."

Man:  "I was just going to say that."

Me:  "Now you're just telling me what I want to hear."  

Everyone around:  "These two are weird.  Really weird."   


After we left the unicorn bartender, we enjoyed a lovely meal.  This shrimp and melon ball and walnut concoction was out of this world.  Who knew melon balls and shrimp worked together?  It's kind of like the first person who thought of pairing cheese with jelly on toast.  Genius.  


My aunt picked these banana spring rolls with coconut ice cream for us to all share for dessert.  Delicious.  Coconut flavored items usually remind me of eating tanning lotion, but this delivered in spite of those preconceived notions.  
 

And then Momma Debi and I did what you should always do after a couple of glasses of wine and a lovely dinner out...

We went shopping.  First to the furniture store where I found some fabric to love on.  


Second to Bed, Bath, and Beyond where we browsed around all dressed up with nowhere to go.  Nowhere to go that is except the bedding aisles.  Yes, I walked around in a dress and cowboy boots and red lipstick.  On a Friday night.  In a BB&B.  Totally normal behavior.  And really, my heart was happy while shopping with my mom.  The two of us can get some serious shopping done in a short amount of time with an abundance of ping ponging random conversations thrown in.  We were mostly looking for bedding for one of the upstairs bedrooms.  When we came upon this number, it was game over in my book.  

Momma Debi started laughing.  Because she had picked out this exact duvet the last time she and my dad were down there.  But Dad-o told her, "Wait for Amy to help you with that bedroom."  Little did he know, Momma Debi and I were already on the same page. 
 

After shopping, we returned to normal Friday night behavior.  Drinking wine while having a heart to heart in the living room. 


It's not often my mom and I have the time together to simply be.  To simply be with each other and talk and laugh and listen.  

It's also not often I think, or anyone else thinks, that I look like my mom.  But in these pictures I do.  I'm not sure if it's just because I loved that night with her or because we really do resemble each other.  It doesn't really matter why, I just know I want to always remember the memories of my mom and I.  Having these moments together.  They are precious to me.


No comments: