2.08.2013

A Small Victory

The weekend is here.  Slow mornings with coffee, words by the fire, homemade bread french toast on the You are Special plate, and easy goings...I hope are on your agenda.  

May I also say I need to celebrate a very small victory.  I love the way steam rises from a cup of fresh coffee.  It just makes the morning right and good.  And for years now, yes years because that's how I am, I have tried to capture the steam rising from a cup with my camera.  Fail every single time.  I try and try to figure out the perfect combination of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed needed to make a still of the steam.  I move the cup to a variety of backgrounds.  Try it with a light variety, click and fail.  Try it with a dark variety, click and fail.  Always never quite getting there, to the swirly fog rising from the cup.  It's probably silly how much time I've put into this one small capture I want, but it's the feeling behind the steam I want to be remembered.  

So my slightly obsessive self kept placing my coffee mug here, there, and everywhere...trying. 


And then boom!  After daylight broke last Saturday morning, I managed to get a tiny whisper of steam.  It's not perfect, not by a long shot but what it is...

Is a small victory from a silly little goal of mine.


Here's to the weekend.  Steam capturing and all.  

No comments: