2.24.2013

Right Back There...But Not

The first time I went to Grimaldi's in AZ, I was wearing cowboy boots and the sun was shining on my back and I was at a bit of a rough spot in my existence.  The trip with my mom last late January was a blessing in its timing; I needed away.  I remember vividly sitting there, sipping wine, breathing in the fresh air...thinking for the first time in a long while, "I will get myself back." 
 
 
And I did. 
 
Now it's over a year later.  A dare I say, almost springy feeling Sunday afternoon and I just made, in my kitchen, a fairly close replica of my favorite Grimaldi's pizza.  Because make no qualms about it, I make sure I eat a slice or six each time I visit the sunny place.  So I know how it should be. 
 
 
The sun even shined in my window while I was whipping it up and if I closed my eyes real tight, I could almost feel like I was there, with the red checkered table cloth blowing in the breeze instead of being in my kitchen with a pizza stone. 
 
But the best part though, wasn't the delicious pizza.  The best part was I know myself and I are alright again.  I'm back to being me, have been for some time now. 
 
It's funny sometimes how things or places or even food can bring us right back to a time in our lives. 
 
Here's three cheers for whole wheat pizza crust, olive oil, garlic, fresh mozarella, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, black pepper, and most importantly...the gift of happiness.  Happiness all around. 
 


No comments: