2.12.2013

Another One

My weekend included meeting part of my family in Fargo for a planned rendezvous, only to be stranded there one extra day and night because of a shutting down the interstates kind of non-planned blizzard.  Turns out though, just like the last winter weekend road trip proved, being stranded isn't always a bad thing. 

 
Forced relaxing was reveled in, other than a certain someone named Billy doing everyone's laundry in the hotel so it wouldn't have to be done when all returned to home turf.  Naps and reading were snuck in here and there.  Laughing until tears stories were told for a couple hours over cheap bread sandwiches and soup whipped together by hotel staff as not a restaurant in sight was open.  But, dinner doesn't have to be fancy to have the feeling of having dinner together, it's the camaraderie which makes the event.  And finally, snuggling in with my mom and sister while we sipped hot tea and watched the Grammy Awards; my dad and Billy each in a chair with their feet kicked up partaking in the shenanigans.

 
Weekends.  I love them.  All shapes, sizes, and sorts of them. 

The part of the festivities which was planned was watching Sister Pister show the teenage horse she has been training for the past ONE month.  Duncan, the teenage horse, came to her care not liking humans.  He bit at her and stomped at her and in general acted like any typical teenager.  Sister Pister had a couple of moments of maybe giving up but then didn't quit.  Wouldn't quit.  Because she's like that.  And then we all watched her show Duncan at NDSU on Saturday night, ending up taking third overall, as a freshman.  Sometimes I'm so proud of her it hurts.  In a very good way. 


Brunch was planned too.  Because I love drinking coffee with my family.  Really I love drinking coffee anytime, but when I can look down the table and see my mom and dad at the other end while my sister and her crew is between and Billy is across, I really love. 


Now I'm back home and there are strawberries roasting in my oven as I write.  I'm not sure what I was thinking but I had some fruit and nut trail mix from Costco on the way home yesterday and I've become obsessed with the dried strawberry chewy bits which were in that darn bag.  So strawberries are hopefully turning into those delicious bits right this second.  I'll let you know how it all worked. 

And I'll leave with this final note.  I have an addiction to trail mix.  Which means I basically want it all the time.  Which also means I do not buy it because then I will take in the entire bag.  Which also means when it's blizzarding and I'm at Costco knowing the roads will be treacherous at best, I buy it in my nervous twitch state.  Which also means it's a special treat. 

That trail mix and I have a complicated relationship. 

No comments: