2.02.2011

Napa

Quite possibly my favorite line from the television series Sex and the City comes from the leading character - Carrie.  The scene:  when she has to say goodbye to Mr. Big because he is moving to California.  Big's apartment is the epitome of New York modern; it's emptiness and clean lines create the stark backdrop needed for the sad farewell.  I should insert here that I am the worst movie/show quoter of all time.  If you know me, you know this is true.  I think it comes from me paying attention too much to the details of the surroundings and not paying enough attention to what the people are actually saying...this problem also happens to me in real life but that's an issue for another day.  

Anyways, sad farewell - stark apartment - two people who are meant to be together but can't get it to work - tears, it's all there.  Mr. Big says something along the lines {see this I don't remember for sure} of "I'm just tired.  Tired of New York and tired of all of this."  

Carrie looks up at Mr. Big and pauses.  It's a moment when something deep and profound should come out of her mouth.  But instead, she says, "When you're tired, you take a napa, you don't move to Napa."  

I love that girl.  Even though she's not a real person, I love her.  And, the fact that I can remember that line from Carrie word for word means a lot.  It really struck me because many times in my own life, I try to remember that a little humor can go a long way in making a not so fun situation better...even if it's just for a second.   

Lately, that quote has been running through my head frequently.  I'm just in need of spring.  And, all I can keep thinking is, "When you're tired, you take a napa, you don't move to Napa."

What I'm really tired of the most is darkness.  I know we are on the swing to having light again, but it's still dark when I leave for work in the morning and dark when I come home at night.  When winter first sets in, I think this is a cozy concept.  Fire in the fireplace cozy.  Now, I'm over that.  I'm ready for some light!  What I really miss about not having light is photography.  I only take about two hundred pictures a month in the winter compared to the {so ridiculous of a number I won't even say it} pictures a month in the spring, summer, and fall. 

It just isn't as fun to take pictures in the darkness.  At first, I think the yellowish glow created from cranking my ISO way up high, my aperture way down low, and my shutter speed slooow is warm and delightful.   Flash is not my friend so I always try and maneuver the settings so I don't have to use flash. 


{ps...this is the book that turned me into a real reader}


I'm over that warm and fuzzy feeling and am ready for some low ISO, high aperture, fast shutter speed, lots of light moments.


I do believe the ground hog did his thing and spring is on the way.  Bring on the light!  Bring it on.  There's no moving to Napa for this girl. 

No comments: