2.09.2011

Choice

I believe I've made my feelings about February pretty clear and the fact of the matter is, I tend to get in a Negative Nelly rut this time of year.  I'm tired of the dark and the cold and the every day of the every day.  Then I find myself stuck in those feelings.  Just wishing time away, waiting for the sunlight and the warmth and the new happenings that spring and summer always bring.   

Last Sunday, I almost didn't even bring my camera with to the Superbowl party at my parents' house because I was not in the mood for being frustrated about having to use a flash or ending up with yellowy grainy photos.  But, at the last minute I grabbed it. 

When I got there, I was greeted by three crazy happy kids who had just spent the night at their Nana and Papa's because their parents were on vacation.  They all three had that "we've been spoiled rotten" look and Easy Rider was up on the coffee table doing some measuring and building.  My camera came out and I could feel the frustration building up before I even turned it on; I figured for sure there would never be enough light. 

And I was right.  The first picture I snapped with me standing by the stairway was a grainy mess.  I deleted it and went and sat on the couch across the room, deciding to just watch the kids play instead.  Then, from sitting on that couch, I noticed a sparkle in Easy Rider's eyes.  So my camera came out and I told myself to try just one.more.time.  

It worked. 

I guess sometimes it's just about moving yourself and finding the light.   


Taking the situation and turning it into what you want.


Making the choice to get out of the rut of feeling frustration and find the positive.    


Lately, I have been guilty of letting a negative attitude drag me down and that negative attitude can bring nothing good.  Maybe it's time I take the little lesson the sparkle in Easy Rider's eyes and my camera taught me and make the decision to look for the positive in the rest of my life.   

Because, there is light.  It's just I need to move myself and my attitude to find it.  

Once I'm there, back in that happy place, it's oh so good.  So, why not make the choice to stay there?  Forget the dark and the cold and the every day.  Focus on the good.  Focus on the light.  


Because being a Negative Nelly is not who I am. 

Dear Self,
Get out of your rut.  That run you just finished in the zero degree cold night helped shock you back to life.  Now make the choice to stay there.     
Sincerely,
Me

1 comment:

Danica said...

You are not alone in the rut-nut-business. I keep reminding myself it's all about my attitude. Thanks for your reminder too!