2.20.2011

Must Have Balloons

A Sunday morning of drinking coffee, making a cake, and balloons is a recipe for my heart to be happy.  I'm making a cake because it's Momma Debi's birthday today and no one should have to make their own cake, even though she said to me this morning, "Do you want me just to make the cake?"  My answer, "No, you are not making your own cake.  I am making the cake.  Remember, I'm the one that used to be good at making at frosting.  The recipe card even has my name on it." 


I think she was nervous that I'm not good at homemade frosting anymore because I went through a few years of cooking and baking issues.   

What she doesn't know is that I've actually become not so shabby at slicing, dicing, and mixing in the last six months, give or take.  So, a cake?  I can handle a cake.  Especially when a side of coffee, sun shining through the window, and James Blunt on itunes is involved. 


The balloons are because of Firecracker, Easy Rider, and Little Man.  Sil sent me a text last night that said, "The kids think we can't have a party without balloons."  I'm not about to be the one to squash that idyllic belief so balloons I bought.  In a short while, I'll be loading up the cake, balloons, and presents to head to the farm to celebrate Momma Debi and Brother's birthdays.  Because, remember, he turned the big 30.  


I'm waiting right now for that cake to cool so I can actually make the frosting and I've been thinking back to when we got together last year for their birthdays.  It was right after we found out that my mom had a lump on her neck and we were still very uncertain about what was going to come of that lump.  Turns out, it's been quite the ride.  And to think that now, one year later, we can have a birthday party, complete with balloons and cake with homemade frosting without the weight of cancer on my mom's shoulders just goes to show that miracles do happen.  They really do.  

And when Momma Debi blows out her candles today, she'll have at least one, if not all three grandkids on her lap, that I can guarantee.  I can also guarantee that those candles that represent another year passing will mean more to her than they ever have before.  Because getting to turn another year older is a gift.     

Happy birthday to my favorite Mom!  

       
Now, I'm off to see if I still have the frosting touch. 

No comments: