10.11.2011

What It Is About

Saturday morning, I pulled out my real coffee maker from the cupboard.  The kind where you have to use a filter and grounds and actually figure out how much it will take to make yummy coffee.  The kind before there was a thing called The Keurig.  I pulled the red Bunn out of the cupboard so I could brew up some pumpkin spice coffee from Dunkin' Donuts for the first time this season.  And as the smell of coffee brewing infused with a warm pumpkin kick came floating through my house, I was a happy fall lovin' girl.  Momma Debi was on her way to pick me up for a local barn craft show, I had a scarf tied around my neck, and dangly earrings were hanging from my ears.  It's like the fall choir opened up and sang down on me.

I love this season that much.  The colors.  The chill in the air.  The smell of pumpkin anything.  The way the breeze feels different, like it's bringing change.  I just love fall.  It's my favorite.  


When that fall feeling is combined with a rustic barn combined with white sparkly lights, it is a picture perfect atmosphere for crafts galore.  The mood was set.   


I always feel like my juices are flowing and alive when I'm surrounded by the creative with eye candy tucked in every nook and cranny.  It's like an overload of stimulation for color inspirations and little ideas to tuck away for future theme parties.  My mind starts spinning with possibilities. 


Then I get distracted by something shiny...this time being a mirror.  And the nice lady running the booth asks Momma Debi, "What is she doing?"  And Momma Debi replies, "She's just taking pictures.  She takes pictures of everything."  And then she joins me.  Because she is my mom.  She gets me and spending the morning with her is even better than wearing a scarf with dangly earrings while drinking pumpkin spice coffee.  Yes, quality time with my mom is the trump card.   


When I was a kid, I used to imagine what it would be like to be an adult and do things like meet my friends at craft shows.  I'm not even joking.  I really used to think about those kinds of things.  My mom always had an amazing group of girlfriends who she had outings with.  All of us kids would sometimes tag along and watch their laughter and it was like seeing magic.  Our moms transforming into real people with real friends instead of just our moms who wiped our faces and read us stories and washed our clothes and loved on us.   

And I remember feeling excited about the possibility of one day doing that myself.  My friends and I getting our kids together and meeting on a Saturday morning to walk around a craft show.  I don't have the kid part yet, but it is still pretty fabulous to meet up with my friends who do.  As I'm smushing on their kids or we are visiting about the latest happenings in our lives, I always get the feeling of "Holy smokes.  I have grown up.  This is real life."  I am there.  To the real life part.  

Because now it is my friends and I that get to share a slice of magic.  This time being the pumpkin patch with Danae and her three nuggets while the sun rays kicked it. 


Brittany also believes that fall rules the roost.  She loves her some boots and hats and all things autumn.  It's yet another opinion we share.  When I saw her walk up with her two adorable little pumpkins in their coordinated knitted hats I actually said, "You all are a vision of fall." 


Britt is the friend I can say that kind of stuff to because she gets it.  And Stella gets the jewelry thing.  Hello Kitty ring that's bigger than your hand?  I think so.

     
Really, it was just a life loving kind of Saturday morning.  And I don't want you to think it was glorious simply because of the material things.  Because it's not that it was all about the scarf. 


Or that it was all about the boots. 


Or that it was all about the craft show, the pumpkin patch, the wagon rides, or the magnificent season of fall. 


However, it is all about spending quality time people I love.  It is about running into friends you haven't seen in too long.  It is about the creative juices flowing.  It is about feeling alive.  It is about shining. 

It is about all of that.  While fall swirls on around us.   

4 comments:

Kathy F. said...

Ahhhh, I remember those outings with your mom. You were definitely right to look forward to them. I'm glad you're enjoying them yourself now.

Amy said...

You are one of the "mom's friends" who will forever be etched in my memory. Because I felt just as much at home at your home as I did at mine. That and the fact that you had peach pop. :)

Tonya said...

Amy it was great running into at the barn! It was a fun day, not only because it was my BIRTHDAY but it was wonderful to be in a place where everyone is happy, things are interesting and I could find a homemade knitted scarf from a lady who happened to know my brother from Washburn when I started talking to her! Anyway, loved the pics and it was great seeing ya! By the way, I loved the Judd's too....my bucket list is to have a beer with Wynona. She just rocks.

Amy said...

Was great seeing you too! I wish I would have known in was your birthday...but happy wishes to you a few days late. :) It was such a fabulous morning of good people. A beer with Wynona? Check yes for me too!