10.24.2011

This Time I Was There

What if you only had today what you thanked God for yesterday?  

A friend asked me this a few weeks ago and it made my heart skip a beat.  Because I am often not thankful enough for the unbelievable blessings in my life.  When push comes to shove, I have it all.  A family that knocks my socks off with their greatness, friends who fill my cup, an inspiring and satisfying career, a house to call my own, and the list goes on.  Blessed.  I am blessed.  I better be doing my thanking every day.     

On Thursday morning, when I was curled up in a hospital waiting room chair waiting for the elevator door to open with the newest member of our family making a grand entrance, I was blinking back the tears for the enormity of just how much I indeed have it all.    


Tears that could only be a sign of one thing.  Blessed happiness.  Minutes before the tears started rolling down my cheeks, my big brother had walked through all of us...his family and his wife's family all mixed together waiting for the arrival of the baby that would join in the web of togetherness.  Waiting to find out if it would be a girl or a boy we would all be loving on.

And I can't even explain why, but it about sent me over the proud edge to see him in his scrubs with an enormous smile on his face saying to his other three children, "The baby will be here soon."  The brother I used to ride bike with and the brother who was the drummer when I put on lip syncing shows with my friends and the brother I spent hours with doing barn chores...my brother...the father of three, soon to be four...walking through the waiting room.  It about sent me over the proud edge.

I turned to my mom and said, "I'm not sure I can handle this.  I'm already a mess."   

You see, this baby's birth was the first time I was able to be there for the monumental moment of the elevator door opening.  When the other three were born, I was either in college or at work and I had the agonizing wait by the phone.  This time was different.  I was there.  


There for the elevator door opening with my brother exclaiming, "It's a GIRL!"  


There for the first glimpse of a tiny baby girl who will always matter to all of us more than the air we breathe.  Because that's how it is with family.  Instant all-in love.  


There for the grandparents' tears and camera clickings and the littlest brother's first time of seeing his sister.

 
There for witnessing the unbelievable perfection of the miracle of life.  Perfection that takes your breath away.  Literally.


There for the priceless reaction of Firecracker who so desperately wanted a sister.  There to see her dream come true.  There to know that now forever, she will have that special sister bond in her life.  


There to see the instant protective love between father and daughter.   


There to see instinctual sibling love.  It can only be described as instinctual.  The look in their eyes says they simply know that new little being will forever be a part of them and their stories.   


There to see the cousins over the moon excited about having one more to play with and scheme with and make memories with.  


There to capture this moment.  One that requires no words and brings me to tears every single time I look at it. 


There to be an observer to my fantastic sister-in-law's mother love.  That little girl has no way of knowing just how fabulous of a mom she has.  She'll figure it out though.  She'll figure out she is one of the lucky ones.   


There to be amazed by every tiny feature.  


There to wait "patiently" for the name.  And there to squeal with delight at the announcement of Hazel Faith.  A pretty name for a pretty girl. 


There to kiss those cheeks and smush on her precious face.   


There to watch my little sister be an aunt and know exactly how she feels inside.  


There to see my mom and dad extend their family.  And there to wonder what it feels like to see the legacy of your family continuing on.  


There to see my brother and sister-in-law become parents again, knowing in my heart they are the people meant to raise their brood of four children.  Because they instill them with confidence and nurture their independence and love them to pieces.    


Yes, this time I was there.  There for it all.  And being there for Hazel Faith's birth day reminded me to be thankful for the unbelievable blessings I have in my life.

And I am doing my thanking.  Thanking God for what I have in my life today.  

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Ok, now I am crying all over the place. Tears of joy! What a beautiful portrayal of the arrival of the latest little baby Engelhard. Thanks for sharing such a special, intimate, happy moment.

Anonymous said...

Hazel is beautiful and Summer looks absolutely wonderful! Great pics!