12.22.2012

Holiday Spirit

Last year during the holiday season, I had my first experiences with making homemade sugar cookies and other treats.  Really, the entire past year I had my first experiences with most cooking and baking endeavors.  I often chuckle to myself at how lacking I was in the kitchen realm.  Now I actually dare call myself a fairly decent cook and am adept at the planning, prep, and execution of real life meals.  Even cooking for company!  I am an adult.  It's scary. 
 
So today it felt old hat to rise at six in the morning and start my holiday baking.  I didn't question my every move, didn't send any "Help me!" texts, and didn't feel unease.  Quite the opposite in fact.  Now when I'm in the kitchen, I'm calm.  Happy.  Putting ingredients together to create something new is yet another outlet for this creative being. 
 
 
And Christmas music is a must.  As are not boring socks. 
 
 
Also, in the afternoon, two grown  men watching the Santa Clause starring Tim Allen in the living room while I  unwrapped kisses in the dining room is a must.  I do believe the holiday spirit is contagious. 
 
I also do believe in this goody.  Last year.  This year.  It's oh so good.  Do yourself a favor and make it.  It's easy to make, color coordinates with the theme, and is pretty.  You can not go wrong here.   
 
 
For the first time, I made the sweet kind of Chex mix.  Eight sticks of butter later and I have five gallon bags of the ridiculously addicitive sweet and salty crunchy stuff.  I put some in a Merry Christmas mug, enjoyed it slowly while sitting by the tree, and then placed the rest in my garage where the car lives.  It's safer that way.  I wish I could share a recipe for it but I dumped and poured and guessed until it looked right.  I'll write it down next time.  And believe me, there will be a next time.   
 
 
Pretzels and kisses and hugs as the finale.  No recipe needed.  Simplicity.  I could have even handled these two years ago.  And that's saying a great deal.
 
Sugar cookies is all I have left on my list.  I sense a Betty kind of Sunday afternoon on the horizon.   
 


No comments: