12.01.2012

Painting Polkas

It's December first this morning. 

I've been spending my time Mod Podging Christmas clothespins and throwing glitter on anything I can get my hands on and filling my days with people.  The green and red bug bit me earlier than usual and it all started with drinking straws in my kitchen but more on that later.  For now, I want to go back to Thanksgiving.  The often forgotten holiday but my personal favorite. 

Before Thanksgiving was the night before Thanksgiving.  Shocking I know.  The night before Thanksgiving was all I ever hoped it would be.  You see, this year my sister-in-law and I decided we would do the day and then what happened was I typed up a categorized list and she whipped up goody after goody and my brother became excited about adding prime rib to the menu and then my little sister came to slice apples and boss me about pie crust while her boyfriend peeled potatoes.


Wine was sipped.  Old country music was playing.  The littlest was cooking up a storm with the sneakily stolen tupperware.  The biggest was showing off her newly pierced ears.  The middlest boys were giggling on the loveseat cuddled together.


Fresh out of the bath babies were smelled. 


It was all I ever hoped it would be.

I videoed a bit on my phone because I wanted a reminder of this night with my siblings and the extras we have added along the way.  We have transitioned to being people who can successfully plan for and cook a Thanksgiving meal.  Next step, we'll stop laughing at farts.  Hold on.  Let's not get carried away with grown-up-ness.

My extra was at my house washing sheets, cleaning, and organizing everything for the upcoming weekend company.  Which was also a beautiful thing; to know my to-do list was getting shorter without me being there.  He also shopped at Walmart for the Thanksgiving groceries from my typed categorized list.  On a Saturday with fifty-one minute line standing episode.  A good man indeed.  I won't even talk about sending him an email on Wednesday morning with a picture of a table decorating idea and asking if he'd make the trip to Hobby Lobby because that would be ridiculous.  But he did go and found everything I needed to paint polka dots on burlap at 11:39 at night in my sister-in-law's dining room.


Sil and I couldn't help but laugh because we did not discuss decorations together and magically the pieces we did separately completed the vision.  Or maybe the laughing was from the tired delirium of pouring kernels and painting at midnight.

   
When I left their house well into the very late night, I left a polka dotted table and cooling pies and chilling salads and prepared appetizers.  And I took with me a very full heart.      

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Delicious and wonderful, magical Thanksgiving!