1.03.2011

New Year

The start to a new year.  A clean slate so to speak.  The possibilities are endless.  I've decided that I will just take 2011 and make it the best year ever.  Really, in probably all of my years, I have never been as excited for a year as much as I am for '11.  Who knows why?  I just am.  

If my luck is as great this year as it was when we {the family and some friends} were playing pinochle on New Year's Day at the farm, then I'm in for quite the ride.  First of all, if you don't play pinochle, you should.  Second of all, if you don't play pinochle, this won't probably make sense to you.  But, this was my hand in the first round of play.  All trump.  Double rope.  My partner and I took every trick.  We were playing "Call a Card" because there was seven of us playing so you are dealt more cards than normal play, but still.  That was an insane hand.  I had to brag.  For a long time.  And, take a picture of course.  


Sister Pister happened to be the lucky one to be my partner for that greatness.  I had to tell her to get her game face on and pay attention.  


Good thing that she knows what she is doing when in comes to pinochle.  We scored 216 points on ONE hand.  Again, I had to brag.  For a long time.  And, take a picture of course.  Please notice the rest of the scores.  Have I ever mentioned I'm extremely competitive?   

 
Pinochle is a tradition in my family.  We all know how to play.  Dad-o taught each of us kids by playing two handed with us for hours.  It was always in the winter and he would set up shop in the living room and teach us the art of pinochle.  It's not an easy card game to learn, but eventually, after all of those two handed games {and Momma Debi's handy dandy sheet that explained all the points}, each of us was ready at our own time to join the big table.  You see, my family has this group of friends that have been around as long as I can remember.  Growing up, we would all get together; the kids would play who knows what and the adults would play pinochle.  So, when each of the kids were ready to play the game, it was a right of passage.   


Getting together with one of those families and my family on New Year's Day to play pinochle was a perfect way to start the new year.  As I've become older, I realize how important traditions are to me and pinochle playing is definitely one of those traditions that makes my heart all happy inside.  


Jim's peanut butter fudge also makes my heart happy.  It's a little tradition within a tradition that he always brings it along.  No one can make it other than him.  It's just a rule.  

  
2011.  It will be the best year ever.  I can just feel it.  After all, I did end up winning the entire game.  That has to be a sign.


Happy New Year!  2011...here we all come!   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friends, pinochle and peanut butter fudge, it doesn't get any better than that.

Kathy F. said...

What an awesome way to welcome in the New Year! I agree, pinochle and friends......what more could you ask for?