5.05.2010

Artichoke Hearts

I'm once again left in a waiting room.  I actually think I could get used to the waiting room life; I'm rather good at it...people have been asking me questions so I must look like I know what I'm doing.  Either that, or maybe I just look like I won't bite.  So, if you need someone to tag along on your waiting room journeys, by all means, give me a call.  


We just got done meeting with Mr. Surgeon and Mr. Surgeon II.  Let me just say this, WOW.  They truly do make the dream team.  I felt the need to actually tell them, "Look at you two...you are the dream team" and Mr. Surgeon {the head of the department} acted very humble and just shook his head and Mr. Surgeon II {young gun} smiled and said as he pointed between the two of them, "We really are the dream team."  Their nurse looked at me like, "Yeah, I know I work for good looking doctors."  All went well with Mr. Surgeon and Mr. Surgeon II.  In fact, the side of Mom's neck they operated on, the left side, is completely clear of cancer so they did their job.  It's the other side that is showing some remnants.  So, turns out, the dream team is the dream team not only because they are good looking enough to be on a Grey's Anatomy, but because they are gooooooood at their job.  

Now, Mom is in receiving her radiation and I am not allowed to go along.  It was this that gave me that clue.  Those are not circus stripes people; those are serious stripes.   


Yesterday, after we met with Dr. Type A and found out exactly what the long term plan is going to be, Mom and I both relaxed a bit.  Not a relaxed feeling because everything is perfect, but more a relaxed feeling because a plan has been made.  We are all about a plan.  So, anyways, we "relaxed" yesterday afternoon.  


Mom ordered a cobb salad and then reminded me of a time in Washington D.C. that involved a cobb salad.  The family had gone to D.C. to visit my mom's sister, who was {is?  I'm not sure how that works after retirement} a colonel in the Army.  We were eating at Union Station at a fancaay restaurant and I was 12.  Heading into the land of "I know everything because I'm a teenager."  Brother ordered a cobb salad.  I looked at what a cobb salad had on it and said in utter disgust in front of the fancaay server, "Ewwwwww...you are going to eat artichoke hearts!  What animal does that even come from anyway?"  Laughter erupted and I wondered why.  Auntie Colonel explained to me that artichoke hearts were the inside part of an artichoke and that an artichoke is a plant..not an animal.  Then, after our meal, she promptly went to the grocery store and bought artichokes.  We went back to her house and she showed me the proper way to cook and eat an artichoke, heart and all.  I think Auntie Colonel wanted to ensure that I would not have an outburst about animal or plant hearts at a fancaay restaurant ever again.  I can thank Auntie Colonel for my very cultured {insert sarcasm here} ways now.   So, moral of the story.  Artichoke heart = plant, not animal.  Late last night, Mom and I were laughing again at the "Ewwwwww...what animal does that come from anyway?!" and decided we needed to call Auntie Colonel and include her in on the laughs.  She remembered too.  Really, how could you not?  

Mom was full of funnies yesterday and at one point looked at me while I was on the computer uploading pictures and said, "It's a good thing you have a computer and a camera with to entertain you so I didn't have to drag all the tinker-toys along."  Oh, Mom, aren't you soooo funny.  She then decided she would take a picture of me being entertained.  Please don't mind the weird black glasses.  We went to Target two nights ago and I bought a pair of $11.00 readers.  I really need to go to the eye doctor,  but I'm stubborn and for now these $11.00 readers from Target will do just fine.  


I actually think I will keep the $11.00 readers from Target because I feel a little like the teacher from the Black Lagoon.  I'm so mean and scary it's not even funny.    


After this patio sitting, cobb salad eating lunch, we headed back to the hotel.  When I stepped in the elevator, a lady said to me, "Oh my gosh!  You could be my granddaughter!"  I thought to myself, well yes, everyone wants me for their granddaughter.  She then continued on, "You have the same beautiful face and perfect complexion."  I said, "Well thank you, but look at this zit on my chin."  We left the elevator and I was feeling a little big head syndrome coming on and I think Mom sensed it too so she looked right at me and said, "Amy, did you notice she was wearing her glasses around her neck?"  Aren't mothers supposed to flatter you?  I guess not.

My bubble bursting momma.  Good thing I love her.   


Mom's in getting her radiation right now and this is the view I'm looking at while drinking a cup of coffee; seems fair after all of her "make fun of Amy" escapades lately.  I kid.  I kid.  In all seriousness, I really hope that Mom feels A-to-the-okay after this dose.  Please hope with me. 

2 comments:

Brittany Miller said...

Was Mr. Surgeon II married? I would have asked him for you if I had been there. Just sayin'!

Amy said...

No ring Britt. No ring. :) And, I know you would have asked seeings as how you like to do that for me!