5.24.2010

Ironic

Nothing like a little rain the day after the Sprinkler Man comes to turn on your underground sprinklers.  It's not my choice to have a Sprinkler Man as I'm sure I could figure it out, I guess it comes with the territory of where I now live.  Sprinkler Man put the geysers on a schedule because apparently that's how this whole watering the grass thing works.  Now, I grew up on a farm and there was no watering of the grass, it was called rain.  Rain = green grass.  No rain = brown grass.  It was simple.  It was nature.  


So the day after Sprinkler Man came to schedule my watering, it rained.  So the day after Sprinkler Man came, I woke up to my sprinklers going while it was raining.  Seemed a bit ironic to me.  You should know that my scheduled watering happens at 5 o'clock in the morning so I wasn't quite with-it enough to take pictures then, but here are the after effects of having scheduled watering along with the natural watering.  It's called too much watering.   


I am aware there is probably a way to shut down the automatic sprinklers while it is raining, but I do not know how to do this because I'm not what you call "citified."  I also do not know how to do this because I didn't think to ask Sprinkler Man that while he was here because I was too distracted after this conversation that occurred while I was standing in my kitchen...

SM -- "You live here?"

Me -- "Yes."  

SM -- "You live here."  {Not a question this time.  A statement.  A puzzled statement}

Me -- "Yes."  

SM -- "Really, you live here?"   

Me -- "Yeah, well you know, I married an old guy a few years ago and he bought this house and then he died and now I live here."  

SM -- Silence.

Me -- "I know, seems crazy huh?"

SM -- Silence.  Walks back into garage.

Me -- Stand in my kitchen for a few minutes chuckling at my evil ways.  Then, finally walk into garage.  "I'm just kidding, that didn't really happen.  It didn't happen at all.  Yes, I bought this house and yes, I live here."  

SM -- Laughing and shaking his head, "Good to know." 

So, Sprinkler Man and I shared a little laugh.  But, I couldn't help but wonder what made him feel like it was so odd that I lived in my house.  I did shower that day and I had just returned home from work  and I had just grabbed the mail from my mailbox so I feel I looked as if I could be the owner of my house.  

Speaking of mailboxes, it makes my slightly neurotic OCD heart very happy that the mailboxes in my neighborhood are all lined up nice and neat.  


Also, I've decided town grass is wussy grass.  It doesn't have anything on farm grass.  And, that's all I'm going to say about that.  

2 comments:

Studio B said...

Here ya go, a sprinkler rain sensor - http://www.smarthome.com/31258/Orbit-Wireless-Rain-Freeze-Sensor-57071/p.aspx

Amy said...

Hahaha THANKS!