5.01.2010

Office Supply Epidemic

So, I have a job that I love. 

Yesterday, one of the chicken wings comes up to me and says, “How do you spell official?”  I say, “Here let me write that down for you on a little stickie.”  So I do, I write it down on a stickie that happens to be pink and cute and fun and pretty exciting.   

Then, approximately ten {maybe fifteen} seconds later, another one of the chicken wings comes up to me and says, “How do you spell denies?”  I say, “Here let me write that down for you on a little stickie.”  So I do, I write it down on a stickie that happens to be blue and cute and fun and pretty exciting.

Next, exactly twelve {I paid attention this time...I was sensing an epidemic was about to occur; I have a sixth sense for that} seconds later, another one of the chicken wings comes up to me and says, “How do you spell sheriff?”  I say, “Here let me write that down for you on a little stickie.”  So I do, I write it down on a stickie that happens to be yellow and cute and fun and pretty exciting.    

Then, it was time to go to music which is a good thing because I'm pretty sure the other seventeen chicken wings were thinking those cute and fun and pretty exciting stickies were the cat's meow.  I couldn't help but laugh to myself about the epidemic that had just occurred.  You see, in my line of work, epidemics happen quite frequently.  Like the pencil sharpening epidemic of 2007...that was a serious one; we almost didn't make a full recovery.  This little office supply breakout, however, I actually could relate to because I have a love {more than a like} for office supplies. 

They make my heart happy. 


I could be in the office supply section of Staples for hours.  Literally.  You see, they go right along with my very OCD-like tendencies.  Those little clippies are a fabulous invention; once you start clipping, you can't stop.  I love the feeling of a good pen. Yes, a good pen.  There are bad pens.  Good pens just feel right.  Bad pens, well they don't feel right.  And, stickie notes, oh stickie notes...I need not say anything more.


Here's the thing about fun paper, fun paper makes you want to write a letter to your grandma or write out your to-do list for the third time in one day to make sure it looks organized.  Yes, an organized to-do list is very important.  Very, very important.
 

So, yesterday, we had a little “I really want that fun and cute and pretty exciting stickie so I’ll pretend I don’t know how to spell a word” epidemic.  I don’t think it will go down in history books or anything but, an epidemic all the same.  Sure, when the first of my chicken wings {who actually did need help} came up to me, I should have said, “Go look in a dictionary.”  But, I didn’t.  Sure, when the second of my chicken wings came up to me, I should have said, “Go look in a dictionary and I think you just want a stickie.”  But, I didn’t.  Sure, when the third of my chicken wings came up to me, I should have said, “Go look in a dictionary and I know you just want a stickie.”  But, I didn’t. 

I didn’t because I find humor in little epidemics.  I didn’t because I love my job and all the patience required to do it well.  I didn’t because sometimes we all just want a fun little office supply.  They make your heart happy.

:: PS ::
Don't you a little bit wonder about what we were doing that needed the words official, denies, and sheriff?  You'll never know...that's top secret.      

2 comments:

Brittany Miller said...

Just reading this made my heart happy. As you know, I too love me some office supplies!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the whole pen thing!! :)