5.02.2010

Journey

It's early.  Really early.  I'm about to embark on a journey with Mom.  A journey to hopefully end her cancer once and for all.  We are leaving for Mayo shortly and will find out how much radiation is needed tomorrow after her scan and then stay the week so she can receive the treatments.  I'm going along for support and to make her laugh.  I'm bringing my laptop and my camera so I can update along the way.  I'm determined to make this a memorable mother--daughter trip.  Please keep my mom in your prayers extra this week and especially pray that her cancer did not spread.  

Mom sent out an email yesterday to family and friends.  I want as many people to be thinking about her this week as possible because we all know the power of prayer so I'm sharing it with you.      

 As I sit here looking out my window at the snow falling on the first day of May, I thought this would be a good time for an update on my health. At about the time of a week after Easter, I was starting to feel really pretty good, getting some energy back and pain quite decreased. I still have significant numbness on my left side from a bit above my jaw line over my ear and down to the incision at the base of my neck and slightly numb down to my collar bone and out to the top of my shoulder. I guess it could take some time to feel like I'm not wearing someone else's neck. The pain is all but gone, except in my shoulder. I've been going to physical therapy and have most all of my range of motion back except whatever it is that it takes to move my arm straight up from the side, like making a snow angel movement But that is minor considering where I was with very little strength or range. My voice is still a little goofy and unpredictable. I am also having "fun" following a diet without iodine. It is basically no seafood, sea salt, red dye #3, dairy, or anything that anybody else has put salt in or on that I can't guarantee isn't iodine free salt. The salt isn't the problem just the added iodine. In preparation for the scan I also needed to be off all thyroid medication, which has left me quite tired and feeling strange. My body needs to be deplete of iodine and thyroid before the scan. All of this is very slight, compared to what could have been the outcome. I certainly don't mean to be complaining.

I'm now faced with the fact that it is six weeks since surgery, which back then seemed like a long time. It is time to head back to Rochester tomorrow morning to get down there in time for 7am appointments on Monday the 3rd. I will be having blood work done and a scan and by Wednesday will know how much radiation I'll need. My understanding is that the results of the scan will dictate what level of radiation I will receive. So the more cancer that shows up the higher dose, guess that makes sense. Let's just hope it is a lower dose, that would mean little cancer, I won't have to be isolated for too long and will be able to head back home quickly. I am so thankful for Amy, who is taking a week off from teaching, and will be going with and being my driver and caretaker for this trip. Curt will be staying home to hold down the fort and he and Travis will work on getting the crop in when it quits snowing. Emily will also get to stay home this time and help out around here and sleep in her own bed. I was happy to make it home after surgery in March for little George's arrival. I won't be able to be around the grand kids for awhile after I get home, but I'm sure Summer will give Isabel, Gus and George extra hugs and kisses from me.

We thank you so much for your continued support and prayers. Know that it is so appreciated. Hopes are that this has remained thyroid cancer and not spread, because it sounds to me like thyroid cancer is very "getable" (how'd you like that word?).

Thank you and take care,
Debi

My mom is amazing.  She has the ability to handle anything thrown at her with grace and humility.  Here's hoping for a good week full of laughs and memories...I'm sure we will have quite the journey.  I don't think Mom has rode in a car with me for more than a couple of hours in many, many years.  I also don't think she knows what she's in for.  I'm full of tricks.         


Yesterday, I wrote about office supplies.  Today, I'm writing about cancer.  Life's crazy huh?  It sure is a ride that I guess we can just do the best we can to hold on to and enjoy.   

No comments: