5.23.2010

Nine Years Worth

High school graduation.  It was today for most schools in this area, including the high school I graduated from way back in 2001.  As I was sitting there listening to the speeches, I couldn't help but feel a little aged.  It really seems like just yesterday I was giving my graduation speech, but it was nine years ago.  Nine years?  Where did that go? 

In those nine years, lots has changed.  Take for instance, I do my own laundry now.  I feel like I've learned some pretty important things in those nine years and I know I'm not an expert on life by any means, but if I had to give advice to the high school graduates of 2010, here's what it would be...
  • really enjoy this summer because you are in a very fun in-between place
  • spend some time with your parents this summer because it's the last time your relationship will be the way it is right now
  • don't go to jail tonight...run fast, really fast if you have to
  • work only as much as you absolutely have to this summer because it's probably going to be the last time you don't have to work to pay the bills
  • on your first day of college, let your mom hug you in front of your new roomie
  • have a lot of crazy, wild fun your first year of college, but go to class because your grades do matter
  • don't go to jail your second night of college...especially don't get hand-cuffed to your best friend and then thrown in a cop car on your second night of college {purely hypothetically speaking here}
  • call your grandma
  • when your parents come to visit you at college, take them shopping and have them pay
  • when your parents come to visit you at college, take them out to eat with a load of your friends and have them pay...believe me, they want to
  • live in the dorms your freshmen year
  • enjoy living with a stranger, even if they are way different from you...in fact, you might learn a little something or see a different perspective
  • call your dad for money sometimes, not a lot, just sometimes; it lets him know you still need him
  • meet as many new people as you can...spread your wings
  • buy Easy-Mac at Sam's Club
  • do what you say you are going to do
  • call your mom just because sometimes, not always because you need something
  • don't wish away your college years, instead, cherish them
  • call your older brother when you need to be bailed out because he'll really enjoy doing that for you {again, purely hypothetically speaking here}
  • remember your little siblings at home and when you come home to visit, don't rush off right away to your friends, hang out with your family first
  • do your homework and do it well
  • make mistakes and realize you made a mistake when your mom says to you on the phone, "You dummy" 
  • learn from the "dummy" mistakes
  • know that the friends you make in college will always have a special place in your heart
  • make an impression
  • don't bring a college algebra book to a party...it will get spilled on
That's just a short list and again, I know I'm not an expert and still have a great deal to learn myself, but I do know that being dropped off at college is a huge step in your life.  It's also a huge step in your life to walk out to the dorm parking lot your first week of college and see your car windows smashed in and your dash cut apart with wires hanging everywhere and then have to deal with that mess without your parents.  When I called Mom crying from the parking lot that day she said to me, "Amy, I'm four hours away, what do you want me to do?  You have to deal with this."  And, you know what?  I did.  I did because college is all about growing up and figuring things out and making mistakes and being ridiculous and having crazy-fun and doing homework and being young and realizing that there is a great big world out there for your taking.  Now, Class of 2010, go and take it. 


Also, a special congratulations to the seniors I had the privilege of working with this year.  I'm glad I could take your photos and make your graduation announcements.  You were all awesome! 

-- Elizabeth


-- Ian


-- Michael {I didn't take the photos on this one...just made the announcement}


-- Good luck in your future endeavors!

No comments: