5.18.2010

End of an Era

Aren't things in life just better with a partner in crime?  Take for instance, summer camp way back when.  It was way more fun to go to summer camp with a partner in crime.  Also, take for instance, traveling.  It's way more fun to travel with a partner in crime.  There are many times in life when you need someone to...share inside jokes, laugh hysterically at or with, work with on projects, etc.  Basically, someone to be your partner in crime.  

Grad school was no different for me.  I had a PIC.  Her name is Karen.  She is crazy.  Together, we equal a kind of crazy that gets us into trouble.  We just have the same sense of humor and have been known to be a complete gong show when we should be a complete serious show.  Her husband, Chris, put up with a lot while we were doing this whole grad school thing.  I feel the need to say that right now.  I also feel the need to thank Chris, which is maybe a bit weird, but I do. 


It was actually Karen's idea to do grad school in the first place.  We taught together for a bit {which was so fun}, but then she moved to a different school.  She called me one day and said, "Hey, let's start grad school this summer.  It will only take us two years and then we'll be done."  I said, "No."  Then, she said, "C'mon, don't you just want to get it done with?"  I said, "No, I want to teach for another year first since I've only taught for two."  Then, she said, "Please, I need someone to do it with.  I need a grad school friend."  I said, "Maybe, what do I have to do?"  

Uggghh.  

It was at that point that the next two years of my life were checked off the social calendar.  

Anyways, Karen said, "You just have to fill out a form and then I'll drop it off and then you'll be in grad school and then we'll start classes this summer and then I'm sure it won't be that bad and then we'll be done."  I said, "Fine."  

Seriously, she drug me in kicking and screaming.  But, we started grad school that summer and our lives no longer had any free time.   Our free time consisted of, "What paper do we need to write now?"  "What are you doing for that project?"  "Can you believe we have class Friday night and Saturday morning?" "Hey, do you think maybe we should have a drink after class?"  {Sorry for the last one Chris, but sometimes it was necessary!}

So, slowly but surely we chugged through our two years of grad school.  There are actually some good things that came out of those two years: great friends were made, we lightened up professors with our ridiculous ways, and we became better teachers.  And, please, look at these hoods.  You can't get a better look than that. 

  
I can't honestly begin to explain the many, many times the PIC and I have laughed so hard we've cried.  If you have ever been around the both of us, you know.  If you haven't, you should really hang out with us.  Let's just say that one time a guy came up to us in Menards and said, "You two should really have a show or something.  I've been watching you for the last twenty minutes and it's very entertaining."  Ok, that might be a bit creepy, but what you need to know is in that twenty minutes we had been ridiculous and all we really needed was some potting soil.

Well, we are done with grad school now and "The Dream Team" will no longer have to go to class, write papers, and go crazy.  I think there will still be some trips to Menard's for potting soil, but that's a cake walk.


The hooding ceremony was on Friday and it's pretty serious business.  I ended up sitting front row right in the middle with the spotlight blaring on me.  Perfect.  I actually told myself in my head, "Now, this is serious.  No funny business."  So, when it was my turn to stand in the spot and have the three big cheeses stand around me with my hood, I was really, really willing myself to stay serious.  Then, Big Cheese #1 almost knocked my hat off which then got me flustered which then caused me to forget to shake hands with Big Cheese #1 and #3 after Big Cheese #2 {my department chair} hugged me which then caused me to say to Big Cheese #3 as I tried to cover forgetting the hand shakes, "What?  You need a hug too?"  Which then caused Big Cheese #3 to say, "No, I really don't."  Which then caused audience to laugh.  And, all I really wanted to do was just not be noticed.  Why oh why can not that not just ever work out?


Karen was also noticed, not because of hugs, but because of a cow bell.  A cow bell rung by her mother.  I guess we just can't escape it.
After the hooding ceremony, we went over to the walk across the big stage graduation.  Well, one of us walked, and one of us fell in a hole.  I won't mention who did which but I will say that instead of asking if someone was ok, Karen just laughed. 

On the way back for the party, we were visiting about how this was really good for Karen's girls to see.  They might not remember the actual day, but they will know that their mom did it and that they can do anything they set their minds to.   


Dad-o came to the hooding ceremony, but it was sunny and warm for the first time in a few weeks so he jetted off to get some seed in the ground.  I was glad he could come for the important part and I dare say he might have been a bit proud.  I don't have a picture with him; I'm thinking I should take my hood to the field and take a picture with him there...seems like a good photo op.  Mom stayed the course. 


I didn't take very many pictures at the party because I was too busy enjoying the fun.  Sil and the kids came to help me celebrate {Brother was playing in the dirt with Dad-o} so I did snap a couple of the kids.  I have to do that. 

Firecracker has been wearing her Halloween head band for a long while now.  She likes it.  She likes it a lot.  She's also very cute with her very cheesy smile. 


Easy Rider. 


Little Man giving a sleepy time wave and smirk with his JD hat.  How can a baby be so dang cute?!


Karen's daughter, Princess. 


Firecracker and Princess are great friends.  In fact, they came up to me and asked, "Ummm...when are we going to play together again?  And, next time, let's go swimming."  Ummm...ok sixteen year olds.  Nothing like a little sun with your picnic huh girls? 


Sister Pister also came to the party for a bit after she was done with school.  I have no proof of that, but she was there.  She couldn't stay too long because it was Friday night, but still, she came.  Thank you Sister Pister.

When Mom was going to leave for the night, for some reason it ended up being Karen, her mom, Mom, and I up in the front yard for a bit and we were all laughing hard.  I think it had something to do with both of our mom's raising such goofy daughters.  This picture is blurry, but it's funny.


In all seriousness though, both of The Moms are amazing women themselves and obviously encouraged Karen and I to never back down.  I know I appreciate how my mom pushed me to be independent and I'm sure Karen is thankful too. 


If you noticed that Momma Debi's hair is different in this picture than the one from earlier in the day, do not be alarmed.  She got a hair cut in between festivities; no funny business was involved.  And, I really like it.  But anyways, I digress...

Then, Karen and I decided that after all of these years of putting up with two head strong, say anything daughters, our moms deserved a picture together.  If you have a head strong, say anything daughter, I'm sure one of these two ladies could give you some advice.  I actually think while we were having this little photo session, both Moms were thinking, "I can't believe she turned out alright."  Maybe they never had any doubts...ahhh, who am I kidding!  I'm sure there were doubts.     


So, it's the end of my grad school era.  I'm glad it's over, but I can't say that it was all bad either.  I do know, I'm ready for a summer without class, that is for sure!  So, if you see me actually living the dream this summer, please do not be surprised. 

No comments: