12.14.2010

Backing Up

So, I have a lot to say about my little trip last week.  First of all, can I tell you how fun it was to say to people when they asked why I was in San Diego..."Oh, you know, I'm here on business" all serious like.  This is hilarious to me.  I think it's because usually teachers don't get to travel on business.  Second of all, I've been trying to figure out how to organize all the randomness that was those five days into something that makes sense and here's what I've come up with; a day by day little journal.  Creative I know.

I traveled on this business trip with my boss and two other teachers from my school.  I shall just call my boss, The Boss.  And, then there was Mary Beth who is southern; I'm not sure I can even really describe the amount of her southern-ness except to compare it to the movie Steel Magnolias with Julia Roberts and Sally Field.  I'm sure you are familiar.  In fact, I started calling her Shelby because it just made sense and then after I started to pick up the crazy southern accent, I found myself saying, "Shallbeee...git over here!"  Then, she started to refer to me as Weezer.  Except, if you say that southern it sounds like this.  "Weeeeeeeeezzaa."  And, that's not an exaggeration.  Not at all.  Shelby is my kind of traveler because she loves to talk to strangers and cause a ruckus.  It was perfect.  Last, but certainly not least, was Momma Mitty.  A great sport in our adventures. We flew into town early Saturday evening and had exactly a day and a half to take in all that we possibly could before the conference started on Monday; the real reason we traveled.  Remember, we were there on business.   

Day One
  • Arrived at the airport here in the wee hours of the morning in a freezing snowy mess.  
  • My suitcase was three pounds overweight.  
  • Are you aware this is a spendy problem?  
  • Should not have packed eleven pounds of jewelry.
  • Didn't want to open my suitcase in front of The Boss and have any unmentionables flying around so I just paid the fee.  Ouch.  
  • Received the full pat down going through airport security.  Why?  Because, apparently I look suspicious.  They probably were all, "That lady's suitcase is ridiculously heavy; she's up to something."
  • I tried to warn the people I was traveling with prior to leaving that I was a gong show traveler.  I think they thought I was kidding.  
  • Arrived in San Diego to sun.  Need not say more about that. 
  • Made it to hotel to be greeted by the dream team of hotel front desk people.  Mitch from Iowa and Rhys from Australia.  They quickly became my and Shelby's friends.  
  • Asked our hotel bellman/driver where we should go and eat.  His name was Robert, Bobby, or Roberto, depending on what he was doing, and he instantly became our one man tourist guide.   
  • He recommended a Mexican restaurant in Old Town and brought us there.  Robert said it was the best and Robert does not lie.  
  • Homemade flour tortillas look just like lefse.  The Boss even put butter and sugar on his; he was seriously confused.  I was not.  Salsa all the way.  
  • I can.not.sit.still so I ran around by the restaurant seeing what I could find.  And, the good news is...I have no shame in being a touristy nerd. 
  • Huge fan of Christmas decorations with not a speck of snow in sight.  Huge.    
  • Sitting outside, at night, in December is a gift for us mid-westerners.  Sparkly lights above...an added bonus.
  • Our waiter became our friend.  Shelby and I charmed him even though he wanted to be a bit cranky at first.  A good squeeze hug took care of that.  
  • Too bad Shelby and I aren't sisters because we took a lovely Christmas card.  Well, actually another server snapped the picture after I gave him a quick lesson on the camera; he even squatted down because he said, "I want you to have a pretty picture."  I admire a goal setter.   
  • We saved the food we didn't even touch because there is no way a human can eat that much in one setting and gave it to Robert when he picked us up.  This might seem tacky to some, but did I mention Shelby is southern?  She does things like this.  And, if he didn't love us before, that sealed the deal.   
    • Mitch and Rhys were waiting for us when we got back to the hotel.  Some harassment was necessary.   
    • Robert then suggested and proceeded to take us to the Gaslamp District in downtown San Diego.  
    • On the way, he tried to fill Shelby and I in on some appropriate terms to use while out in downtown being the young guy he is.  I'm pretty sure his cool factor is much higher than ours.  
    • I had to inform him that no matter how much he tried, there simply is no "street" in me.  This made him laugh and then laugh some more.   
    • Then, I said, "Uffda."  He turned and stared and asked, "What did you say, Oooffa?"  I replied, "No, Uffdaaaa"  Then he asked, "What does that mean?"  I replied, "Oh boy."  It quickly became a regular part of his vocabulary. 
    • Gaslamp made my heart happy.  Busy, busy.  Fun, fun.  And, that's all I'm going to say about that.     

    Day One.  Cheers to You!  

    1 comment:

    Tonya said...

    Amy~Love the photo of you by yourself standing by the bazaar~~Very pretty!! You look great. Sounds like a fabulous trip and you can't go wrong with sunshine, nice men and good Mexican food! Glad you had a great time!