12.16.2010

Running, Trolley, Pirate, and Dear Jesus

After our short taste of San Diego on Saturday, I was raring to go on Sunday morning.  We had all day to play and I planned to take full advantage of that.  After some clapping and cheering, I convinced Mary Beth {Shelby} to come along with me on an early morning run.  The dream hotel team didn't start their shifts until the afternoon so we went up to the morning shift bellman/driver and asked him where there was a good place to run that wouldn't be too far from the hotel.  Mel said, "Well, just run over the 8, and then keep going until you see a Best Buy and there is a river there that has a path along it.  The path is about a mile and a half."  I replied with a fist pump and donkey kick and Shelby and I were off.  The sun was making its appearance and it was warm...a perfect treat for this girl since running outside is not so much an option on the home front these days.

We finally made it to the "running path" and let's just say this...the path was also home to quite a few transient people.  So, there we were, bopping to music, really just enjoying running outside, and waking up the homeless.  Most sat up, stretched their arms a bit, waved, and yelled a little encouragement at us.   And, I'm not going to lie...it kind of made my day.  

With a good run under our belts and breakfast in The Boss and Momma Mitty's tummies, we were all ready for a tourist day.  So, I wrangled up that bellman/driver named Mel again and we jumped in with him.  I sat in the front.  After about ten minutes, Mel looked over at me real serious like and said, "You're high strung huh?"  Then, I said to him, "I really think I should move here.  I love it.  Seriously, the weather, the people, it's perfect.  Did you see that lady's biking pants over there?  Last night, we had the yummiest food.  Oh, Robert is fun too!  We brought him our left over food.   Pretty sure he loves us.  How long have you worked at the hotel?  So, there's a big game today and we hear the Raiders fans are sketchy.  Do you want a roommate?  Yes, I'm high strung."  

Mel replied, "You can totally live with me as long as you don't bring drugs."  

Consider it done Mel.  

We wanted to be able to see the thirty-nine things that the locals had already suggested to us so Mel figured that taking the Old Town Trolley tour would be the best for us because you just pay one flat rate and then get off at any stop and it will pick you up in half hour intervals all day.  So, you could stay a half an hour, an hour, an hour and a half, two hours...do you get that?  And, the trolley hits all the attractions.  Plus, it involves a guy with a microphone and music.  My kind of transportation.  When we arrived at the trolley station, Mel took a little "family" picture for us and then I asked him, "Do you want your hug now or later?"  We hugged it out.  


Now I feel the need to go to a bullet list or this might just turn into a novel because it was a jammed full day and night!  

Day Two
  • We had some wait time until our trolley was back from its other run so my camera came out; I spotted a couple of houses that I think Dad-o should purchase.   
  • The Chargers were playing the Raiders.  Apparently, this is a huuuge game if you are a fan of either of those teams.  
  • Blue roofs might be my new favorite thing.  
  • Shelby and I made friends with two trolley drivers while waiting for our trolley to come.  I broke the ice by asking them if they needed to be introduced to each other.  
  • Our trolley came and our driver started his little speech about the rules of riding the trolley and such.
  • The two previously mentioned trolley drivers jumped on and started running towards us in the back and yelling to the rest of the passengers, "North Dakota girls are FUN!!  We are coming along!!" and then one sat with me and one sat with Shelby and they put their arms around us and yelled again.  Loudly.   
  • Our driver was worried.  Very worried.  
  • The other passengers were doing that --I'm trying to smile through my nervousness about this situation-- look.   You know the one. 
  • They finally quit causing a scene and exited the trolley.
  • We were on our way.  
  • First stop, the harbor.  
  • Lots of ships.  Obviously.
  • The Navy Seals were training a dolphin.  It held my attention for a solid two minutes.     
  • I don't like birds at all and I even found them pretty because I was just loving life that much.  
  • Amazing sculptures all along the harbor.  
  • Momma Mitty offered to take a picture of me.  
  • A guy dressed like a pirate walked by and said, "You're very traditional" and then told me the lamest pirate joke ever about Arrrrby's.  I felt the need to say this, "You just told me the cheesiest pirate joke while dressed like a pirate and you are calling me traditional?  I don't think so buddy."  
  • This caused him to want a picture with us.
  • City on one side of you.  Water on the other side.  Real similar to what we have going on here.  Oh, wait.  We have "city" on one side of you and field on the other side.  
  • Next stop, Coronado Island.  
  • Real city and real artwork along the way.  
  • Then, a bridge that made me turn to my neighbor and say, "This right here?  This is what I like to refer to as a Dear Jesus moment."  
  • Not a fan of that bridge.  There's not really even a railing.  And, it's not a normal height bridge.  It's extra tall to allow for the Navy ships.  {I'm throwing in an airplane shot of the bridge so you can understand my Dear Jesus.} 
  • Good thing Coronado was worth it.  
  • Christmas poinsettias actually planted in the ground.  Weird. 
  • A beautiful view of the city in contrast to the beachy, islandy side.  
  • I kind of couldn't get over the bridge.  Just kind of.  
  • Santa and candy canes against palm trees.  
  • Freaked right out when we drove to the other side of the island.  The ocean side.  It literally took my breath away.  
  • Then, decided this.  Must find rich man.   
  • Must find rich man.  Now.  
  • The Hotel Del is famous and has a lovely vintage aesthetic; the entire thing is wood.  Old school style.   
  • I climbed in the gardens to see the orange trees and other vegetation.  I fully expected to be reprimanded.  It's just that kind of place.
  • Spotted the perfect honeymoon cottage for the rich man and I.  
  • It started to get rather cloudy and I didn't even care.  It sprinkled a few drops and I didn't even care.  
  • We saw people wearing scarves.  Scarves.  In sixty-five degree weather.  Pretty sure they were a fashion statement.   
  • Then, the ocean.  It was my first time.  I feel the beach right off the Hotel Del is a perfect spot for a first timer.
  • Totally nerd herded it up.  
  • I'll go there next.  
  • This is getting too long and I still have so much to say about the rest of that crazy day and night. 
  • I'm done for now. 
     

No comments: