12.05.2010

Proud

I'm sure anyone who has a sibling has moments where they watch them doing something and feel proud.  Real proud.  Well, Sister Pister was in a play a couple of weeks ago.  She goes to the same small town high school that I graduated from and that small town high school still does things like junior/senior class plays.  That means anyone who is a junior or a senior that wants to be in the play gets to be.  And, because it's a small town, it's the same kids that are in football and volleyball.  Small town kids are busy, busy and have the ability to wear many different hats. 

Anyways, back to my point.  Let me start by saying this.  I'm a tad dramatic.  I know you would have never, ever have guessed that on your own.  Oh, you already knew that?  Hmmm... 

I admit it.  I own my vices.  I'm dramatic.  Always have been.  So, I did love the junior/senior class play.  I loved the stage and still really quite enjoy any moment when I have everyone's attention.  Can you say middle child?  So, when I made the little trip out to the small town and it was snowing and I was drinking a hot coffee while listening to Christmas music and I had just finished a run outside in the snow, my heart was happy.  I was excited to see some drama.  I was hoping for some funny drama. 
Sister Pister never really filled me in about what her part in the play was, so when the play started and she hadn't been out on stage yet, I started taking pictures.  It's just what I do.  The play was Ax of Murder.


And, I totally became distracted by the inside of Momma Debi's purse when she was trying to find me some gum.  Love that zebra print against the brown metallic.  Whoo!  Pretty sure that one will find its way to me sooner rather than later.   


Don't you just enjoy the looks on peoples' faces when they are acting?  Let's have a silent moment for being dramatic.                          Thank you.  Now, I always say I'm going to need Botox real early in life because I can.not.talk.with.out.moving.my.face like what you see here. 


So, the play kept going and going and going and going and Sister Pister still hadn't come out yet.  I turned to Momma Debi and said, "Does she even have a part in this thing or what?"  Then, all of a sudden, I looked up and saw this.  


Then, Sister Pister started to talk while looking this ridiculous and what came out of her mouth was a crazy German accent.  She was a German, gypsy psychic.  And, Momma Debi sewed her costume.  I found all of this out right at that moment.  I had no clue she had a HILARIOUS part. 


She ran around the stage channeling the spirits while talking in a crazy accent.  That was all really funny in itself and then...then, she jumped off the stage and started questioning audience members.  All the while keeping a straight face and staying in character while the rest of us roared.  Her dramatics were enough to make me feel so very proud of her.  And, I secretly wish there will be a reason for me to wear that costume! 


Sister Pister, you did your overly dramatic older sister proud.  Really proud.  Is there anything you can't do?  I really thought the drama was my thing.  There you go stealing the thunder again. 


As I mentioned before, Momma Debi sewed Sister Pister's costume.  Then, I found out that she also dressed two other girls in costumes.  Heidi wore my grandma's old jeans and one of Sister Pister's old shirts and Britni wore a ridiculous sparkle dress that Momma Debi had saved for just this kind of occasion.  You see, Momma Debi has about four huge plastic containers in her store room FULL of vintage clothing and costume clothing because she really gets into homecoming week and plays and letting the grandkids dress up and she used to let us dress up and she really loves anything that requires costuming.  Have I ever said I had a great childhood?  

 
So, I was proud.  Proud of Sister Pister's dramatic skills...she was hilarious.  And, I was really proud of all that jewelry.  I don't even feel like she should have followed the "you should always take one piece off before you walk out the door" rule.  What does that say about me? 

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Amy~ I was at the matinee of that play and I thought your sister nailed.it.spot.on!! The great acting, the cozy hall, baked goods, family around...enjoyable afternoon. The kids all did good...and a high five to my nephew Corbin!

Lisa K. said...

love her costume! That's great! I'd be proud, too!